Staff Software Engineer, Technical Lead - Games Technology Group
Job Id: REQ-0005633
Riot Engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Staff Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team objectives. You’ll guide other engineers and provide them with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As a Staff Software Engineer focused on expanding the capabilities of the Unreal Tech Foundation (a collection of tools, libraries and Unreal plugins), you will leverage your understanding of Unreal Engine and the software development lifecycle. You will work with any and all Unreal titles at Riot (ranging from early R&D titles to VALORANT) to help UTF’s capabilities expand alongside Riot’s ecosystem and the games’ needs. As we grow, you will lead a team of engineers in technical direction, implementation of the product, and professional development. You will report to the Engineering Lead of the Game Technology Group.
- Work with GTG and Games technical leadership to identify key areas where UTF requires enhancement in ways that will benefit all customers of the Game Technology Group
- As we grow, lead a team of engineers that will embed on our Unreal titles to deliver new capabilities
- Participate in and guide technical design and implementation
- Contribute substantially to the codebase
- Oversee the quality and maintainability of your team’s code
- Mentor less experienced engineers
- Work with cross-disciplinary teams
- 6+ years of game development experience
- Significant experience with low-level Unreal Engine development
- Excellent knowledge of common game and software design patterns
- Strong ability to collaborate with teammates across multiple initiatives and disciplines
- Product sense and player empathy in making tech decisions
- Deep knowledge of modern C++ and optimization techniques
For this role, you’ll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experience of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).