Concept Art Intern - League of Legends
Job Id: 5108
As a Concept Art Intern at Riot you will bring characters and creatures to life. Drawing inspiration from as little as a napkin sketch or as much as a full-blown narrative concept, you will generate ideas and craft designs that are resonant, compelling and iconic. As a problem solver, first and foremost, you will help come up with visual solutions for game concepts
- Sketch, ideate, and iterate new character/creature concepts in collaboration with other developers
- Develop detailed concept art and orthographs for 3D artists and animators to implement into working game assets
- Creatively problem solve and figure out efficient solutions on executing the look and feel of the character/creature
- Collaborate closely with other disciplines to define characters/creatures that are both narrative and visually cohesive
- Take your knowledge of story tropes, archetypes, and narrative devices of all kind to help improve the designs that go into our worlds
- Bring your understanding of human and animal anatomy and know how to stretch the limits while still maintaining a consistent art direction
- Currently enrolled in a college, university or non degree program
- Available to work full-time hours for 10-12 weeks at our Los Angeles headquarters (subject to change based on COVID-19 restrictions)
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Experience working with Photoshop or other relevant painting/design tools
- Ability to showcase iterations and sketches in addition to the final rendered pieces.
- Proficient in Photoshop and painting/design tools
- Demonstrated ability to digitally paint volumetric form and material differentiation in an isometric and orthographic view
- Understanding of colors and value structure
- Experience creating designs using inspiration from historical, fantasy, sci-fi, mainstream trends, and/or pop culture references
- Great understanding designing characters reading in an isometric view
- Inclusion of references, notes, studies, different angles, how a player interacts with a character or place, and why design choices have been made
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
General Portfolio Advice:
- Please limit application submission to 1 role. You will automatically be considered for similar roles based on your portfolio
- Online format is preferred (Artstation, personal websites, etc.).
- If you have private work that is under NDA, please include the password in your application. Otherwise, we recommend you do not password protect your portfolio
- Test that your portfolio or reel is accessible. Please include access to your portfolio on your resume in addition to the application form in case the link breaks
- Ensure your portfolio showcases your best work
- Fan Art? Sure! It shows your versatility as it relates directly to our art style
- Depending on the role, immersing yourself in the game to get the feel, tone and look can go a long way for your portfolio
Riot Internships are paid, and we offer relocation and housing support. Interns can also participate in our 401(k) plan. You can expect subsidized meals, in-game perks, and the ability to participate in our Play Fund, so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games. The University Programs team also invites you to intern focused events so you can connect with your fellow interns and Rioters to make the most out of your experience.
Applications Close January 6th 12:00pm PT
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).