Senior Software Engineer - Data Products and Solutions
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
Riot Software Engineers possess broad understanding of the entire development cycle while honing their craft in at least one area of specialization. Not only do we have the opportunity to work with the cutting-edge technology needed to handle the scale of League of Legends, we're also empowered to explore new solutions to surprise and delight our existing and future players.
Data Products and Solutions (DPS) is Riot’s big data team which collects and stores petabytes of data from community websites and League of Legends data centers around the world. Engineers on DPS use flexible open source solutions and manage distributed systems that process large amounts of game data. We build the APIs and scalable infrastructure that lets Rioters access data collected from around the world and make more player informed decisions. Whether Rioters are identifying large-scale network latency issues, balancing champions, or using machine learning to create new analytical platforms, DPS’s goal is to make it fast and easy for them to access the data that matters most to them.
As a Senior Software Engineer on DPS, you’ll work on challenges that range from protecting player’s privacy, organizing and optimizing data warehouses using big data tools and cloud based servers, building a platform for ingesting data and serving real time analytics, or enabling product teams to run their services more efficiently. You'll bring your depth of expertise of working with large scale data to help us build efficient solutions, evangelize best practices, as well as provide mentorship to other engineers.
- Contribute code to internal Riot data tools and services that ingest, process, and analyze data in real time.
- Collaborate with product owners and data customers to design technical solutions to Riot’s data challenges
- Create software architecture, break down into milestones, and prioritize tasks
- Produce comprehensive user documentation around your implemented solutions
- Mentor and provide technical guidance to more junior engineers
- Help define and advocate for good engineering standards like code quality, monitoring, alerting, and CI/CD practices
- Help keep production data services up and running by participating in on-call rotations
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Experience building software in Java, Python, SQL
- Depth of experience with designing, implementing, prioritizing and maintaining high-capacity, high-availability scalable software
- Familiarity with microservice architecture and REST APIs
- Experience working in container-based ecosystems and with a container scheduler (e.g. Docker, Mesos, Kubernetes, Amazon ECS)
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, ideally Jenkins
- Familiarity with networking concepts (TCP/IP, routing, etc)
- Familiarity of data warehousing design and principles such as Dimensional modelling
- Understanding of data streaming and/or batch ETLs and open-source technologies (e.g. Sqoop/Airflow/Luigi, Kafka, Spark, Flink, Hadoop)
- Experience mentoring other engineers with diverse experience levels and backgrounds
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill for technical and non-technical audiences
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).