Lead Infrastructure Engineer
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result into genre-defining games. Back in 2009, that vision gave birth to our debut title League of Legends, which achieved critical acclaim among players and became the most played PC game in the world. We are honored to serve over 100 million players worldwide every month.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
As Lead Infrastructure Engineer, you'll be part of a technical team behind building and maintaining Riot's regional services in Europe. Availability, performance, reliability and automation will be your watchwords. You'll help development teams design and implement production and development environments and address system needs in new and creative ways that go beyond traditional infrastructure methods.
You'll work in a self-guiding, cross-functional team with other humble but highly skilled individuals. The team in Dublin is small but growing. We work in a wide range of technical domains.
- A veteran: for 7+ years, you've built servers in the cloud and kept an online production environment humming. You have experience running beefy systems in AWS (or Azure, Google Cloud, Softlayer or Private Clouds) and you're a pro with Linux operating systems.
- An automator: you've made data centers hum with Chef, Ansible (or similar) and can script in, Perl, or all three. You've similarly grokked, deployed, and supported applications across various tech stacks and multiple regions; you’re familiar with the core concepts of object-oriented, functional, and other programming paradigms and have used one or more modern source control management tools.
- Distributed by default: you've worked with distributed data, caching, networking, and application systems in the past, so you're familiar with the core concepts of distributed systems
- Tuning master: you’ve managed to squeeze extra performance out of your systems with solid tuning. Not just throwing money at a problem.
- Adaptable: you're able to rapidly change direction when priorities shift, stay focused on the most relevant issues and can evolve and shift to meet them as needed.
- DevOps savvy: you love working collaboratively and closely with development teams to deliver awesome products and are familiar with agile development methodologies; you want to test everything for every release.
- Player-focused: you love playing video games, so you know that one of the worst feelings in the world is discovering that the server's down; you'll strive to keep the League of Legends platform infrastructure humming, so that doesn't happen.
- Develop and deliver creative solutions that'll automate systems engineering functions
- Operate and maintain critical systems, owning reliability, performance, and availability of those systems
- Troubleshoot and solve issues with hardware, applications, and network components
- Collaborate with teams of developers on local projects as well as with teams across languages and time zones
- Evaluate and implement hardware and software technologies to improve efficiency and performance
Additional insight into applying to Riot Engineering is available on our discipline page
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.