Senior Lighting Artist - Unpublished R&D Product
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Delivering visually stunning experiences for a global audience while also building new games gives artists exciting and complex problems to solve. Here, artists are working not only with one another, but also side-by-side with game designers, narrative writers, and audio designers and engineers to ensure that each piece of content from Riot reaches the level of quality players deserve. From animations to illustrations, cinematics to comics, characters to environments, we work as a team to put players first.
A Lighting Artist at Riot uses light to express the emotion of the game’s setting, the characters, and make our game feel believable. You’ll work in real-time physically-based rendering toolset to create awesome content. As one of the foundational experts at the studio, you set the quality bar, shape the responsibilities, technologies, and workflows.
Our Research and Development (R&D) teams are working towards putting the ‘s’ in Riot Games. As a Senior Lighting Artist for one of the new AAA-games, you will use light intensity, softness, and color to define the emotional intent of the world. You’ll collaborate with both artists and designers and manage the intersection where gameplay meets art. While thriving in a highly-cross-disciplinary team environment, you will also work independently to pave the way for what good looks like. If you care deeply for game development and are passionate about bringing a project to life, join our mission to develop worldwide games that are multi-generational and give our players lasting experiences.
- Help guide the look and feel of lighting across natural and architectural filled worlds
- Translate 2D concepts and use a wide variety of lighting techniques and tricks to capture an illustrative quality
- Work in the engine and own both the technical and creative problem spaces
- Understand the game design and artistic direction to tackle the challenges that will impact game lighting and be able to propose atmosphere and lighting ideas
- Push the environment mood to its fullest potential using your sense of color, contrast, and lighting design to
- Communicate and collaborate with various other disciplines to ensure all assets are performant
- Experience working in real-time lighting workflows using a combination of baked and real-time lighting models.
- Deep knowledge of global illumination lighting such as V-Ray and or Arnold
- Experience working with modeling and PBR texturing programs (ex. Unreal and Substance)
- Strong sense of ownership
- Experience in video game development and/or TV production
- Ability to self-direct and measure success individually and collectively with teams
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational chops
- Excellent debugging skills
- Working with popular game engines
- Familiarity working in an agile environment
As a part of the application process, you will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of their work and may be asked to complete an art test.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).