Data Engineer Intern
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
Riot's Data developers build tools to understand and delight our worldwide players using petabytes of data and state-of-the-art data processing technology. Handling the potential these data offer is a tremendous and complex task. As we continue delivering and scaling content to passionate gamers, our discipline has challenges and opportunities centered on crafting, building, and maintaining data products that support our growth. Whether you are a Data Scientist modeling game systems, a Data Engineer bringing scale and efficiency to systems, or a Data Architect organizing data in ways that make data products more player-focused and dependable, we need you to help push forward our “Player Experience First” goals.
As a Data Engineer Intern, you may:
- Collaborate with game, web, and services engineers to design and instrument telemetry libraries and frameworks.
- Design and implement data models by working with data scientists and insights analysts to unlock efficient game-specific analytics and cross-game insights.
- Oversee data content, ensuring clean and sustainable pipelines to achieve the most accurate and timely data possible.
- Build and own infrastructure for moving and processing data at Riot scale.
- Enrolled in a college or university
- Returning for at least one more term following the internship
- Available to work full-time hours for 10-12 weeks at the indicated office during the summer
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Comfortable programming in Python or Java
- Understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Familiarity with cloud computing basics on AWS (EC2, S3)
- Experience working with Linux operating systems
- Understanding of distributed systems and concurrent programming.
- Experience with related data processing and storage systems (Spark, Flink, Hive, S3, Vertica, Kafka, ElasticSearch, Dynamo, Avro, Parquet)
- Experience with related data pipelining tools (Airflow, Luigi)
- Experience in Scala, C++, or Golang
- Experience deploying cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP) using containers (Docker, Terraform, Ansible, Kubernetes)
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will certainly be looking at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot Internships are paid, and we offer relocation and housing support. You can expect fully subsidized meals and the ability to participate in our Play Fund, so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games. The University Programs team also invites you to intern focused events so you can connect with your fellow interns and Rioters to make the most out of your experience.
Applications Close October 31st 11:59pm PT
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).