Senior VFX Artist - League, External Development Team
On the Real-Time VFX team at Riot, we design and implement the sleek, dynamic and dramatic visual effects that represent gameplay and add atmosphere to the world of League of Legends. We use our experience to create aesthetically astounding visual effects that communicate essential game information and personify the characters and skins we create. League of Legends has a diverse roster of powerful champions with a vast range of abilities, from cosmic dragons to undead warlords and our universe is full of creative potential.
As a Senior VFX Artist on the Personalization External Development (X-Dev) team, you’ll use your artistic and technical skills to create stunning visual effects and guide the development of visual effects from external artists. Effects may vary from champion skin abilities to emotes, sight wards, Little Legends, and just about any other variety of VFX assets that will go into League. You will work with Product Leads, Delivery Leads, team members, and the Associate Art Director to stay aligned on vision and priorities, reporting to the VFX Art Lead. You will oversee VFX feedback to external partners and contribute to craft review sessions.
- Create aesthetically astounding visual effects that balance player satisfaction and communicate essential game information and capture the essence of hundreds of characters
- Guide external artists to hit product quality standards, project art pillars, and highlight improvement areas through a variety of feedback methods
- Find creative solutions to eliminate difficult problems in production and drive agreement on improvements to pipelines, processes and techniques
- Use your your encyclopedic knowledge of visual effects to create brand new assets from classic designs, and push the quality bar of our art style
- Engage with or lead projects to grow our VFX discipline at Riot
- Mentor VFX artists in their craft, delivering feedback to aid in their growth
- Occasional travel overseas to provide training directly to external artists and connect with external teams
- 6+ years of experience in a creative industry
- High proficiency in VFX development, including fundamentals like timing, shape language, color theory and mesh engineering
- Advanced skills in 3D/2D Software - Maya, 3DS Max, Photoshop
- Knowledge of the MOBA genre as it pertains to game design, isometric content and visual clarity
- Experience giving direction and delivering clear, constructive feedback to vendors and external artists
- Shipped titles as a Senior or Lead VFX Artist
- Experience mentoring and training artists
- Familiarity with the League of Legends IP and skins universes
- Interest in International travel for onsite training and conferences
As a part of the application process, you will be expected to provide a portfolio of your work.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).