Global Head of Live Action Film
Job Id: REQ-0001345
At Riot, we work every day to make it better to be a player. But being a player doesn't stop at the end of a game anymore. As the gaming landscape continues to collide with entertainment, we're building a new team to bring Riot's IPs to players around the world in new ways, and invite new audiences into the fold. This team will imagine and develop custom IP experiences and products - animation, interactive narratives, consumer products, and beyond - that deepen players' and fans' connections to the universe we've created. In collaboration with teams across the organization, this team will aim to show players and the world that entertainment now starts with games.
As the Global Head of Live Action Film, you will report to the President of Global Entertainment and develop feature films for Riot Entertainment globally as we expand around the world. You will help build the strategy for Riot's Live Action Content Creation business, an endeavor that is just beginning. You will lead the film creative development team and all work related to the development of feature films for the League of Legends cinematic universe and new franchises. You will identify, source, and shepherd creative from idea through delivery. You will provide creative guidance and feedback to filmmakers on outlines, scripts, and cuts. You have deep relationships within the industry and are well-versed in top artists - writers, directors, producers, and actors. You will use your comprehensive knowledge of programming and the film landscape to identify and cultivate successful partnerships with distribution partners on the production and release of our feature film efforts. You will work with a broad group of partners including Riot's franchise development, game development teams, esports, and creative leaders within and outside of Entertainment to grow Riot's IP for Feature Film.
- Lead Riot Entertainment's Feature Film development strategy, including overseeing the development and production of films, evaluating submissions, packaging projects, and working with physical production teams, filmmakers, financial partners, and distributors.
- Educate and train other Rioters in how development works and help establish "what good looks like"
- Set clear goals for the type and number of projects we are going to develop and the expected yield
- Maintain very meaningful collaboration with your counterparts in Live Action Series/TV and animation.
- Establish credibility for Riot Entertainment, explain our value proposition and build relationships with show creators and creative community
- Assess scripts and pitches for their commercial and creative viability
- Work with writers and artists to develop ideas and scripts
- Oversee creative execution of the project when projects are green-lit
- Produce ideas and work with the franchise development team. Researching and developing show ideas that originate from both internal sources and acquired pitches
- Take pitch meetings and build relationships in the creative community, including writers, directors, producers, talent, managers, and agents.
- Stay informed of the competitive market and entertainment marketplace
- Develop relationship with external creative executives to ensure content development are following our strategic vision for IP
- Work with deal teams to negotiate development, distribution, and production deals.
- Pitching concepts to networks and responsibility for go the to market strategy
- Provide creative oversight on projects
- Primary liaison to other internal departments including Franchise, Marketing, Publicity, Production, Research, and Business and Legal Affairs.
- Oversee film festival submissions and participation
- 8+ years of hands-on development and production experience in general entertainment.
- Knowledge of the movies and media industry.
- Experience working with great artists on well-executed films and the ability to generate new ideas and translate them into high-quality features.
- Experience serving well-established fan audiences while inviting in new fans.
- Proficiency in film production economics and management.
- Ability to build credibility and strong working relationships with other executives and create commitment to goals.
- Knowledge of all aspects of contemporary production, post-production and VFX capabilities.
- Outstanding editorial judgment and creative abilities.
- Experience developing others into great creative executives.
- Comprehensive knowledge of pop-culture and gaming.
- Experience working with the adaptation of existing IP and world building (narrative and visual).
- Experience with international distribution, buyers, and audiences.
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- Experience working at either a production company, broadcast, streaming or network
- Broad network of writers, filmmakers and creatives
- Deep experience with Sci-Fi and Fantasy genres
- Experience working on a major video game IP
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and choices that focus on your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in gaming
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).