Principal Software Engineer (Data) - Riot Data Products, Data as a Service
Job Id: REQ-0004709
Software Engineers at Riot bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas and also value the opportunity to work in many broader domains. Our engineers are player-focused and aim to find solutions that make players excited to experience our games. Principal Engineers, at Riot, are often called on to help with the hardest problems on a project by using their expertise to find creative solutions and being hands-on in writing code.
Data as a Service (DaaS) organization in Riot Data is an engineering team whose mission is to build solutions that equip Rioters with data technology that helps them to enhance the experience of players and Rioters. Our products range from globally deployed data pipelines that publish millions of events per second to building tools to enforce data management and governance policies, including data security. Our offerings drive Riot’s ability to draw insights about our players, people, teams, and organization.
We are looking for a natural leader who can inspire software and data engineers to create meaningful experiences that drive player engagement and excitement within the Riot ecosystem. You are an expert in defining domain architecture, technology strategy in alignment with enterprise architecture, business requirements and technology/product roadmaps. You will provide technical leadership, mentoring and governance to the engineering teams in the DaaS org.
- Set, lead, and contribute to technical vision and direction, using your expertise to guide tough technical decisions
- Lead and contribute to data management policy definition, technical design and implementation of solutions to complex data problems
- Drive collaboration and alignment with various internal stakeholders and teams
- Mentor and coach to lift the expertise of the engineering teams
- Promote adherence to engineering excellence including code maintainability, quality, monitoring, operational excellence, and documentation
- Constantly innovate to improve player experience and unlock the value of data at Riot
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience as a technical leader with the ability to set the technical vision
- 12+ years of software development experience, with a focus on data engineering and technical architecture
- Experience developing large-scale, performant, distributed data solutions on cloud infrastructure (AWS preferred)
- Deep hands-on experience in complex system design, object-oriented system design, scale, performance tuning in Java, Python or Go; Databricks/Spark, Linux, streaming analytics, event-driven architecture, data management & data governance
- Deep hands-on experience in API design, REST, RPC and micro-service architecture
- Experience building test automation and CI/CD
- Exposure to MLOps platforms and solutions
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).