3D Character Art Intern
Job Id: 5100
As a 3D Character Artist Intern at Riot, you will bring champions to life by creating and texturing high and low poly models. You will help craft some of the most iconic characters in the world of gaming. Your sculpting skills, artistic eye and keen understanding of anatomy, form, and color will lead the way in character creation. Working within both technical and design constraints, you will use your knowledge of proportions, anatomy and readability to ensure models are optimized in game. Your craft expertise, high-level execution and attention to detail will enrich the player’s immersive experience.
As a 3D Character Artist Intern on League of Legends or Teamfight Tactics you will use your high-level collaboration skills to deliver immersive and enriching experiences to players. You will have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of character archetypes, styles, and themes with the help of a cross-discipline team of artists, producers, and other stakeholders. A team of people will support you in your growth and development, helping you to deliver amazing content for players.
- Create a wide variety of 3D Assets ranging from High Fantasy Characters to Sci-Fi Monsters
- Understand game requirements to create low poly assets that are optimized for deformation and animation
- Work with various rendering styles, utilizing everything from traditional Hand Painted skills to modern PBR workflows
- Interpret concept designs while taking into account technical and design constraints such as poly counts, texture memory limits, and topology
- Use your strong sense of human/creature anatomy to push character quality to its fullest potential
- Collaborate with multiple other disciplines to ensure that high quality and functional assets are delivered to players
- Create new environment props and characters for future sets and gameplay mechanics
- Understanding of how to readjust textures and colors to create new character variations from existing ones
- Currently enrolled in a college, university or non degree program
- Available to work full-time hours for 10-12 weeks at our Los Angeles headquarters (subject to change based on COVID-19 restrictions)
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- A keen eye for anatomy, form, color, lighting, materials and shaders
- Experience with industry standard 3D modeling and texturing tools: Zbrush, Maya, Photoshop, Substance Painter, 3D Coat preferred.
- Experience with industry standard rendering technologies: Marmoset, Unity, or Unreal preferred
- Understanding of how to work from high poly source assets to implement in game
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will certainly be looking at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
General Portfolio Advice:
- Please limit application submission to 1 role. You will automatically be considered for similar roles based on your portfolio
- Online format is preferred (Artstation, personal websites, etc.)
- If you have private work that is under NDA, please include the password in your application. Otherwise, we recommend you do not password protect your portfolio
- Test that your portfolio or reel is accessible. Please include access to your portfolio on your resume in addition to the application form in case the link breaks
- Ensure your portfolio showcases your best work
- Fan Art? Sure! It shows your versatility as it relates directly to our art style
- Depending on the role, immersing yourself in the game to get the feel, tone and look can go a long way for your portfolio
Riot Internships are paid, and we offer relocation and housing support. Interns can also participate in our 401(k) plan. You can expect subsidized meals, in-game perks, and the ability to participate in our Play Fund, so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games. The University Programs team also invites you to intern focused events so you can connect with your fellow interns and Rioters to make the most out of your experience.
Applications Close January 6th 12:00pm PT
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).