Staff Software Engineer, Valorant - Console Tech
Job Id: REQ-0006566
Engineers join Riot to become masters of their craft. They bring a deep passion for helping bring joy to players via technical solutions. As a Software Engineer III on Valorant's Platform Extensions team, you'll dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team objectives. You'll lead and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As a Staff Software Engineer you will be a technical lead focused on solving foundational problems required to ship Valorant to console game players. You will build technical solutions that help release Valorant onto Xbox and Playstation. The technical work in this area varies from investigating performance issues with Valorant on console to helping build some console tooling so that other teams can develop faster, so it's great for someone that is looking for project variety. Besides working with teams within Valorant, you will have the opportunity to partner with other teams within Riot to help us ship Valorant.
In this role, you'll be:
- Player-Focused: You have strong player empathy, and you want to find solutions that make players excited to experience our game.
- A Collaborator: You want to work elbow-to-elbow with your team members. You are excited to see problems from a different point of view, and make hard tradeoffs to meet multiple goals.
- Efficiency focused: Inefficiency bothers you and you work to create well-oiled machines whenever you can.
- Adaptable: You understand and are comfortable with switching gears between optimization, break/fix, and development and understand the need for rapid re-prioritization.
- A Life Long Learner: You seek input, feedback and ask a lot of questions whenever you can. You want to build a deep understanding of the technology you work with.
- Help lead a Sprint Team that delivers code to players in a bi-weekly release cadence
- Create technical designs for new features and architectural changes
- Break designs into smaller tasks, and mentor more junior engineers in executing those tasks across multiple sprints
- Create and implement standards to ensure high quality code
- Coach and mentor more junior engineers through code reviews and 1-on-1 feedback
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and/or equivalent experience
- 6+ years experience in professional software development, having shipped at least one console game
- Experience with console platform integration
- Excellent knowledge of common game and software design patterns
- Experience mentoring team members to level up their technical capabilities
- Experience shipping Unreal Engine games to console
- Experience shipping multigenerational console titles
- Familiarity with console-specific build pipelines
- Deep knowledge of modern C++ and optimization techniques
- Prior gameplay experience on a AAA shooter
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in gaming
(Los Angeles Only) Base salary range between $178,500 USD - $249,900 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
(Bellevue Only) Base salary range between $178,500 USD - $249,900 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).