Game Designer III, Progression and Metasystems - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0006859
As a Game Designer, you will design, tweak, and optimize the player experience. Your analytical skills, player insight, and creativity aid in crafting in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to innovate and iterate player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world. Working on an early stage product in R&D, you will help decipher one of Riot's next big bets.
As a Game Designer III on an in-development R&D game, you will collaborate with other designers, especially combat and UX designers, to keep progression motivating and engaging. We’ll also look to you to make calls and advocate for the state of the in-game economy the player experiences across their time spent playing. You will report to the Design Manager on the team.
- Working seamlessly with designers in other areas of the game, leading the integration long-form progression appropriately into the heart of the game (including Combat, World, Character Building)
- Drive a vision for what character and personal quarters progression will look like over a session, a month, a season, across multiple seasons
- Drive a vision for how player economy would evolve over the course of a season of play
- Be the first point of contact responsible for implementing character and account progression and in-game economics
- Communicate smoothly with the UI/UX team to establish mutual support in progression and economy implementation
- Build positive relationships with other design teams in shared areas across Riot
- Provide mentorship and expertise to help level up your peers and improve final products across all aspects of development
- Contribute to a warm, supportive, and growth-oriented team mindset
- 5+ years of experience in professional Game Design
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA or “lifestyle” online game with long-form progression over weeks, months, or multiple seasons
- Experience as the progression or in-game economy designer on at least one title
- Demonstrated proficiency with in-engine implementation on at least one title
- Robust systems thinking and deep insight into the downstream consequences of systems choices and adjustments
- Deep familiarity with long-form progression systems from multiple angles (MMO, FPS, Premium Mobile, Competitive Multiplayer, ARPG)
- An open minded and welcoming attitude of growth and curiosity
- Deep insight into modern progression systems in lifestyle games such as MMO, FPS, Premium Mobile, Competitive Multiplayer, and season-driven ARPG games
- Experience mentoring junior designers
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise and a collaborative spirit that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this is the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles Only) Base salary range between $140,100 USD - $195,700 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
(Bellevue Only) Base salary range between $140,100 USD - $195,700 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.