Manager, Software Engineering - VALORANT - Expressions Engineering
Job Id: REQ-0006706
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in many broader domains. You’ll be part of a passionate, cross discipline team of developers to implement and design the game assets and code implementation of exciting existing premium content, such as gun skins. In addition your team will build new features and types of in-game content to give players even more ways to express themselves in VALORANT. For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
VALORANT is Riot’s take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). As the Engineering Manager of the team, in addition to working in the code, you’ll also guide engineers on the team to grow in their careers and help the overall team meet its product and technical goals. Additionally, you'll own the technical direction for how VALORANT premium content is created by the VALORANT team and it is used by players in the live game. Part of the role is to collaborate deeply with all the art disciplines that help create our content, as well as Design and Product Management to help create content that players will love.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this could be your role!
You can expect to:
- Own the technology for premium content end to end: during creation by artists, when players view the content in the out of game experience, and when players are using the content in game.
- Work with Artist and Art teams to help create new kinds of content or improve existing ones to help realize the vision of the game
- Create, review, and reframe an engineering vision with the team and key stakeholders including the Technology, Product, and Process Leads.
- Collaborate effectively with art, design, and other disciplines within game development.
- Identify, recruit, interview, and hire software engineers to help teams scale effectively.
- Provide technical expertise throughout the product life cycle including design, implementation, and delivery of features while continuously improving the software engineering quality and efficiency.
- Build and manage strong relationships between disciplines
- Lead, grow, and coach team members to build talent over the long term
- Demonstrate a high bar of craft excellence for your team
- Cultivate your team's culture of collaboration, creativity and passion for game making
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer
- 2+ years experience directly leading an engineering team either as an Engineering Manager or Technical Lead & mentor.
- 1+ years of experience with C++
- Experience collaborating across disciplines to create solutions.
- 6+ years of experience
- 2+ years of C++ experience
- Experience with Unreal Engine
- Experience working with visual effects, 3D, or other artists either in games or in another industry
- Familiarity working in an agile environment
Riot focuses on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy and other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles Only) Base salary range between $178,500 USD - $249,900 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
(Bellevue Only) Base salary range between $178,500 USD - $249,900 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).