Manager, Software Engineering - Riot Data, Games
Job Id: REQ-0007044
As an Engineering Manager on the Emerging Games Data team you will lead and collaborate with a multidisciplinary team including Software Engineers, Data Engineers, and Data Scientists to launch and improve new games for players around the world. You will be responsible for technical strategy, hiring and allocating data developers, supporting individuals’ craft growth, and maintaining a healthy team environment.
The Emerging Games Data team supports multiple games across varying stages of development, including Legends of Runeterra (a collectible card game) and Project L (Riot’s take on a fighting game). The team will grow to support other Riot titles as they’re greenlit and launched. Our work includes implementing game telemetry and related tooling, building traditional data pipelines, and developing data-powered products backed by novel machine learning and artificial intelligence capabilities– and then making sure we can do it scalably across games. You will report to the Director of Data for Game Studios.
- Create and advocate for a technical vision with the team and important partners.
- Assign personnel and allocate resources to meet product and technical goals.
- Help the team operate sustainably and deliver consistently.
- Hire data developers to help teams scale.
- Identify growth opportunities for the team and find or provide mentorship for them.
- Manage team health and performance with empathy and authenticity, building trust and cultivating resilience.
- Seek different perspectives, encouraging engineers and others to contribute ideas. Base your decisions on sound analysis and avoid biases.
- Provide technical expertise throughout the product life cycle including design, implementation, and delivery of features while improving software engineering quality and efficiency.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years experience as a Senior Software Engineer or Senior Data Engineer.
- 2+ years experience directly leading an engineering team either as an Engineering Manager or Technical Lead.
- Experience building reliable, scalable, and maintainable software systems.
- Experience developing and deploying live data services at scale.
- Experience collaborating across departments to create solutions.
- Experience with backend service development languages (Golang, Java).
- Experience with data engineering tools (Python, Spark, SQL, Protobuf).
- Experience with game development frameworks (Unreal and C++, Unity and C#).
- Familiarity with data science tools (tensorflow/keras, pytorch, scikit-learn).
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot focuses on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy and other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
- (Los Angeles Only) Base salary range between $170,000.00 - $238,000.00 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
- (Bellevue only) Base salary range between $170,000 USD - $238,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.