EU Data Center Manager
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That’s where you come in.
As EU Data Center Manager (Location Dublin/Amsterdam), you’ll be our technical operations captain, setting up strategy and valiantly leading the team that’ll maintain and oversee Riot’s high-speed online gaming infrastructure in Europe. Your extensive tech ops experience, mastery of the data center, mentoring focused leadership style, and Draven axe juggling proficiency will help Riot promote player experience over everything, ensuring awesome service for summoners all over the globe.
- A Veteran: you’ve worked in technical operations since the dark days of dial-up; worked in distributed teams with diverse geographic locations and cultures; You have over 10 years experience working on large scale set-ups, at least 5 of them have been spent leading teammates.
- A data-center dignitary: your encyclopedic knowledge of current data center practices, purchasing, contract negotiations, and global logistics is an industry legend; you’ve turned an empty room into a running live service and could do it again.
- A trusted leader: you’re the torch-holder, guiding teammates down the right path, avoiding potential pitfalls but quick to jump in if trouble transpires; your guidance keeps teammates on task, ensuring their eyes are always on the prize; you lead by influence, not by authority.
- An (technical) ops sage: your operations insight could fill up cloud storage; not letting your wise words go to waste, you give teammates pointed, constructive feedback, adding data to their own personal ops cloud; you have solid understanding of System administration, Networking protocols (TCP/IP) and Cooling and Power.
- Comfortable with autonomy and ambiguity: when changes are made, you keep a cool head, even if you don’t have all the details; you’re comfortable moving between projects and facing the uncertain because risk and change motivates you to evolve and innovate.
- A consummate communicator: You mesh easily with pros from all disciplines, and your impeccable communication skills allow you to unpack difficult concepts with ease, whether it's in person, on Slack, or in technical documentation.
- Manage the planning, hardware installation and configuration, optimization, operations, and ongoing maintenance of the data center(s).
- Oversee systems performance, the monitoring of equipment and the management of vendor relationships.
- Be responsible for capacity planning and continual assessments for process improvement to ensure that processes are well-documented, sustainable and scalable.
- Monitor ongoing practices to ensure consistency with policies, compliance regulations and control requirements.
- Select, develop, and evaluate personnel [vendors and technicians] to ensure the efficient operation.
- Manage the inventory and financial obligations of the datacenter(s).
- Make recommendations to central data center team for projects (i.e. hardware refresh, up/downscaling a datacenter, moving equipment between data centers).
- Click the button below and don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.