If a game's never just a game to you, you love pushing the limits of what's technically possible, and you also believe that doing the right thing often requires disregarding the rules and upending the status quo, then we'd love to talk to you! Our Engineering Leaders are experts at balancing a strong vision while allowing teams ownership of their problem spaces. We're looking for talented, like-minded leaders to join us and help shape the future of gaming.
Engineering Leadership in the Hong Kong Studio can take many forms within product development: League of Legends, Esports, Merchandise, R&D, and other technology areas. Such leaders encompass not only strong technical backgrounds, but also the ability to build and grow teams of extremely skilled technologists aligned to deliver awesome experiences to players.
Riot Games' Hong Kong Studio is our first international development studio outside Los Angeles. With dim sum tea houses boasting hundred-year histories sitting across the street from modern skyscrapers lighting up the horizon, we're inspired by the city's ability to look forward without forgetting the past. The Hong Kong Studio office towers 72 floors high in the Central district of this major international hub in Asia, giving us a bird's-eye view of the buzzing metropolis and keeping Rioters close to its heartbeat.
Titles don’t really matter at any of Riot’s offices, but we chose to take an extra step in the Hong Kong Studio to break the constraints of traditional hierarchical title structures that are more common in this region. We believe that removing titles will promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and a focus on results. We promise you won’t need a title at Riot’s Hong Kong Studio to make an impact!
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraint.
While Engineering Leaders come in all shapes and sizes and work with many technologies, we expect each one at Riot to be:
- Player-focused: you're a gamer whose passion for games (especially League of Legends) helps you stay focused on initiatives that make the difference to players in and out of the game
- A threat to convention: bored by what's considered traditional, you constantly push past limits until the status is no longer quo; you don't "think outside the box" because, hey, there's no box
- Focused on team: you find, shape, and cultivate teams that don't just swing for the fences, they jack that (metaphorical) baseball beyond the stars; you help Rioters develop the tools and creative atmosphere to shine, but ultimately hold them accountable for making smart calls and delivering player value
- Seriously playful: you work hard but always leave time for pentakills; whether you're grabbing a game of League in our onsite PC Bang or rapidly sharing cat GIFs, you make time for daily play in all of its wonderful forms
- Humbitious: you're ambitious but humble, a state of being summed up by fans of portmanteau as "humbitious;" always striving for continuous improvement, you never forgo rounds of feedback from teammates, players, and partners who keep you from drifting off into space
As a Engineering Leader at Riot, you will:
- Develop your team: you're the ultimate, accountable party for ensuring a highly-functioning technology team; whether you manage people or lead technical vision, you'll be responsible for recruiting, training, and continually-improving high-performing Riot Engineers; you'll not only exemplify our cultural pillars, but also be adept at imparting them on others
- Thrive in ambiguity: we explore new problem spaces with unique constraints and thus non-obvious solutions; you're quick to identify any gaps in the team and the right person to fill them to best deliver value to players
- Support your development partners: you'll build and maintaining strong relationships between Technology and partner disciplines (Product, Art, Design, Publishing, Development Management, QA, etc.) to ensure teams are focused on delivering the right product for players
- Be accountable for execution: part of a highly-functioning team is getting shit done; collaborating with cross-functional teams, you'll own moving fast and ensuring the right product ships to players
- Drive technical vision and direction: you're ultimately accountable for the technical quality of your product; you contribute to, and are responsible for, the overall architecture of the system, living by the mantra: "know the code, be the code;" you'll have no problem contributing to feature implementations, bug-fixes, and refactorings
- Wholistically own your technical products: our products reach tens-of-millions of players around the world, 24x7; the products your team delivers must ooze operational excellence (deployment automation, monitoring/alerting, documentation, etc) as Riot engineers are expected to own their services in our production environments
- Lead beyond your team: with a growing global community, Team Builders focus their efforts on supporting their teams and contributing to the overall growth of the entire technology organization; stewards of sharing key technology and best practices across all of engineering at Riot, they are experts at providing the vision that seeds discussions within our global communities-of-practice
Additional insight into applying to Riot Engineering is available on our discipline page.
We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously. Apply below and don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter.