Established in early 2016, the Hong Kong Studio is Riot’s first international game development studio. We’re a diverse team, representing 15 nationalities and partnering with teams in the LA headquarters on our flagship title League of Legends, and on an unannounced R&D project, putting the “s” in Riot Games.
While operating like a startup—with autonomy and total ownership—we’re doubling down on our ambitions to build out a world-class studio in a vibrant, international city, on a continent that is home to the League of Legends World Champion teams for the last seven years running. The Hong Kong Studio is searching the planet for talented, passionate people, across all aspects of game development, to help build Riot’s blueprint for a global, multi-studio world... and to make great games!
As a further step forward, we’ve done away with the traditional hierarchical title structure. Even though titles don’t really matter at any Riot office, taking this extra step helps reinforce our desire to keep teamwork at the forefront of what we do. Focusing on working together helps promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity so every Rioter can thrive while we relentlessly pursue games.
That's where you come in.
As the Engineering Leader for the Studio, working on League of Legends and our next game(s), we believe that focusing on the following, will set a unique strong foundation:
- Player-focused: your passion and player focused approach, helps you differentiate those initiatives that make the difference to players in and out of the game
- A creative force: bored by what's considered traditional, you constantly push past limits until the status is no longer quo; you don't "think outside the box" because, there's no box for you nor your teams
- Committed to your team: you craft, and cultivate teams that don't just swing for the fences, they jack that (metaphorical) baseball beyond the stars; you help Rioters develop the tools in a creative, respectful and inclusive atmosphere to shine, but ultimately hold them accountable for making intelligent calls and delivering player value
- Seriously playful: you work hard but always leave time for the games you love; whether you're grabbing a game of League in our onsite PC Bang or rapidly sharing cat GIFs, you make time for daily play in all of its wonderful forms
- Humbitious: you're ambitious but humble, a state of being summed up by fans of portmanteau as "humbitious;" always striving for continuous improvement, you never forgo rounds of feedback from teammates, players, and partners who keep you from drifting off into space
As an Engineering Leader at Riot, you will:
- Develop your team: you're the ultimate, accountable party for ensuring a highly-functioning engineering team; whether you lead people or set the foundations for the technical vision, you'll be responsible for recruiting, training, and continually-improving all-star Riot Engineers; you'll not only exemplify our cultural pillars, but also be adept at imparting them on others
- Thrive in ambiguity: we explore new problem spaces with unique constraints and thus non-obvious solutions; you're quick to identify any gaps in the team and the right person to fill them to best deliver value to players
- Support your development partners: you'll build and maintaining strong relationships between Engineering and partner disciplines (Product, Art, Design, Development Management, QA, etc.) to ensure teams are focused on delivering the right experiences to players
- Drive technical vision and direction: you're ultimately accountable for the quality of your product; you contribute to, and are responsible for, the overall architecture of the system, living by the mantra: "know the code, be the code;"
- Holistically own your technical products: our products reach tens-of-millions of players around the world, 24x7; the products your team delivers ooze operational excellence (deployment automation, monitoring/alerting, documentation, etc) as Riot engineers are expected to own their services in our production environments
- Lead beyond your team: with a growing global community and as a leader, focus your efforts on supporting them teams and contributing to the overall growth of the entire technology organization; stewards of sharing key technology and the best methodologies across all of engineering at Riot, we seek an expert at providing the vision that seeds discussions within our global communities-of-practice
Additional insight into applying to Riot Engineering is available on our discipline page.
We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously. Apply below and don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter.