Engineering Manager - Infrastructure Platform
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends, and over 100 million people now play the game every month. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul, or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
As an Engineering Manager at Riot, you possess a blend of technical and interpersonal skills that allow you to build a highly functioning engineering team. You don't shy away from getting in the weeds and have a breadth of experience in both organizational design and infrastructure. You will also coach, mentor, and lead a wide range of engineers and will be tasked with performance management, fostering growth opportunities, and setting expectations and accountability for your team.
As an Engineering Manager within the Infrastructure Platform (IP), you will apply your expertise to drive the technical vision and direction of various infrastructure products, whether that be managing our physical or cloud servers, optimizing Riot’s container engine, or improving core services. As a mentor and a coach for your team, you will oversee performance management, growth opportunities, and accountability for a group of Infrastructure, Systems, and Network engineers. You’ll be a member of a leadership team responsible for the broader health of the organization and participating in helping shape its direction through long term road mapping, headcount planning, and engagement with the entirety of our hiring process. Outside of IP, you’ll build strong relationships with engineering groups across Riot to ensure your team is delivering value to developers as well as to our millions of players.
- Provide technical leadership to your team through assisting with automation and code reviews, design reviews, roadmap planning, and prioritization
- Manage resources with cloud service providers as well as with physical network devices within Riot global infrastructure.
- Contribute to all parts of the employee life-cycle, including recruiting, hiring, managing, and mentoring engineers
- Regularly assess the team's maturity, health, and composition as you strive for cohesion and technical excellence in delivery
- Build strong relationships across the Engineering discipline to ensure teams are focused on delivering high impact infrastructure solutions for engineers and players
- 3+ years as an engineering manager leading teams
- 4+ years Working with automation such as ansible, puppet, chef, terraform, etc..
- Knowledge of Linux and/or Windows operating systems
- Knowledge of enterprise networking, including an understanding of BGP, OSPF, MLPS
- Experience managing successful high-capacity, large-scale, development projects
- Capable of technical deep-dive into one or more of the following: networking, operating systems or storage
- Deeply knowledgeable of the full life-cycle of feature development within an Agile environment (e.g. creating roadmaps, creating a vision, prioritization, planning, etc)
- Proven experience of being able to lead via influence without authority
- Bachelors in Computer Science
- 6+ years Working with automation such as ansible, puppet, chef, terraform, etc.