Sr. DevOps Engineer
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
Sr. DevOps Engineer
As a Sr. DevOps Engineer in our Shanghai or LAX office, you are the technical expert at the unique intersection of Riot’s products and the Tencent infrastructure that supports us in China. Your customers are the millions of LoL players in CN. You’ll focus first on these 2 key initiatives:
- Increase the availability + reliability of Riot’s products in China
- Improve the effectiveness + efficiency of launching Riot’s products in China
As a Rioter in China, you'll join a team of internationally and culturally diverse professionals that share our prioritization of player experience, rejection of convention and maniacal passion for gaming.
To reinforce Riot’s collaborative culture in our China offices, we’ve decided to do away with the constraints of traditional hierarchical title structures that are more common in the region. Titles don’t really matter at any of Riot’s offices, but we chose to take this extra step in our China offices to foster a space where teamwork thrives. We believe that removing this constraint will promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and a focus on results. We promise you won’t need a title at Riot to make an impact.
- Technical expert: Broad theoretical knowledge + practical application of Software Engineering and Site Reliability Engineering principles to global-scale distributed systems. You’ve spent 7+ years tackling serious engineering challenges, both as a developer and as an operator of mission-critical Production systems. Specifically, you have:
- 90% of the technical qualifications of a Sr. Software Engineer
- Deep hands-on experience with Linux system internals and L2-L7 networking
- Adaptable: You quickly adapt to new challenges, even if it’s outside of your expertise. You thrive in startup environments, are familiar wearing multiple hats, and have a track record of learning new skills across a wide range of domains + disciplines.
- Clear communicator: You drive clarity in communication, by being concise and articulate. You listen well, you build strong relationships with stakeholders, and bring visibility to technical decisions made on your team to the broader company. You’re fluent in Chinese and English, and can drive effective collaboration with Chinese-speaking engineers.
- Strong decision-maker: You have a rigorous framework for making decisions in ambiguity. You make tradeoffs explicit, when balancing the long-term strategies and short-term tactics. You know when to call for help.
- An Engineer that others want to work with: You have a positive, outgoing, and empathetic personality that lets you operate successfully in mission-critical situations. Instead of making empty complaints, you come prepared with potential solutions. You seek constructive criticism of your designs, and can anticipate potential future issues.
- Drive improvement around Reliability + Availability + Delivery (Subject Matter Expertise).
- Engineer systems + processes that minimize operational toil (Programming).
- Role model best practices for effective resolution of issues in China (Craft Leadership).
- Build a deep architectural + operational understanding of Riot and Tencent technologies.
- Proactively manage + mitigate risks around new deployments and configurations.
- Drive collaboration + alignment inside and outside your team.
- Consistently lift the expertise and skills of people around you.
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.