Sr. Big Data Engineer
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
Sr. Big Data Engineer
As a Sr. Big Data Engineer in our Shanghai office, you leverage your Big Data expertise to help Riot maximize our technical partnership with Tencent. You’ll focus on these 2 critical initiatives:
- Evaluate Big Data products, with respect to Riot’s usecases
- Level-up Riot’s technical understanding of Big Data capabilities + best practices
As a Rioter in China, you'll join a team of internationally and culturally diverse professionals that share our prioritization of player experience, rejection of convention and maniacal passion for gaming.
To reinforce Riot’s collaborative culture in our China offices, we’ve decided to do away with the constraints of traditional hierarchical title structures that are more common in the region. Titles don’t really matter at any of Riot’s offices, but we chose to take this extra step in our China offices to foster a space where teamwork thrives. We believe that removing this constraint will promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and a focus on results. We promise you won’t need a title at Riot to make an impact.
- Data-experienced: Broad theoretical knowledge + practical hands-on experience designing, building and operating global-scale Big Data architectures. You’ve spent 7+ years tackling serious engineering challenges around data ingest, analysis, flow, and storage, while optimizing for data quality and latency.
- Data Systems savvy: You are intimately familiar with which modern data technologies are best suited for different customer usecases.
- Adaptable: You quickly adapt to new challenges, even if it’s outside of your expertise. You thrive in startup environments, are familiar wearing multiple hats, and have a track record of learning new skills across a wide range of domains + disciplines.
- Clear communicator: You drive clarity in communication, by being concise and articulate. You listen well, you build strong relationships with stakeholders, and bring visibility to technical decisions made on your team to the broader company. You’re fluent in Chinese and English, and can drive effective collaboration between different languages and cultures.
- Strong decision-maker: You have a rigorous framework for making decisions in ambiguity. You make tradeoffs explicit, when balancing the long-term strategies and short-term tactics. You know when to call for help.
- Perform deep technical evaluations of Big Data products (Craft Leadership).
- Build systems to test + evaluate Big Data products (Programming).
- Render strategic recommendations to Riot, re: Big Data products (Product Sense).
- Educate Riot, via reference examples, How-to Guides, and other Engineering documentation.
- Drive + facilitate collaboration across timezones + languages + cultures.
- Become an expert on partner Big Data products.
- Consistently lift the expertise and skills of people around you.
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.