Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
As a Data Engineer in our Shanghai office, you leverage your Big Data expertise to help Riot maximize our technical partnership with Tencent. You’ll focus on these 2 critical initiatives:
- Evaluate Tencent’s Big Data platform, with respect to Riot’s usecases
- Level-up Riot’s technical understanding of Tencent’s Big Data capabilities + best practices
- Data-experienced: Broad theoretical knowledge + practical hands-on experience designing, building and operating global-scale Big Data architectures. You’ve spent 7+ years tackling serious engineering challenges around data pipelines, distributed data processing + storage (MapReduce, message queues, replication, data warehouses), and data analysis (modeling + ETL), while optimizing for data quality and latency.
- Data Infrastructure savvy: You are intimately familiar with which modern data technologies are best suited for different customer usecases, ie. Spark, Kafka, DataBricks, HDFS. You’ve built several Big Data platforms from scratch, and can tell us what “bad” looks like, and why.
- Adaptable: You quickly adapt to new challenges, even if it’s outside of your expertise. You thrive in startup environments, are familiar wearing multiple hats, and have a track record of learning new skills across a wide range of domains + disciplines.
- Clear communicator: You drive clarity in communication, by being concise and articulate. You listen well, you build strong relationships with stakeholders, and bring visibility to technical decisions made on your team to the broader company. You’re fluent in Chinese and English, and can drive effective collaboration between different languages and cultures.
- Strong decision-maker: You have a rigorous framework for making decisions in ambiguity. You make tradeoffs explicit, when balancing the long-term strategies and short-term tactics. You know when to call for help.
- Perform deep technical evaluations of Data products (Craft Leadership).
- Build systems to test + evaluate Data products (Programming).
- Render strategic recommendations to Riot, re: Data products (Product Sense).
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.