Senior Systems Engineer - Data Products and Solutions
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
Systems Engineers at Riot play a significant role in supporting our global player base by using their expertise to build efficient infrastructure solutions. We seek to eliminate the need for human interaction with infrastructure by automating a range of functions such as orchestration, deployments, or configuration management. Systems Engineers at Riot recognize how and when to use automation frameworks like Python, Terraform, or Ansible, we understand the basic concepts of software programming, and readily craft tools to make it easier for Rioters to ship code.
As a Senior Systems Engineer on the Data Products and Solutions team, you will work alongside a passionate team of software and infrastructure engineers, as well as data scientists and engineers. We combine strong expertise in data warehousing, analytics, systems administration, and DevOps to automate and improve the way we store, process, and distribute petabytes of player data for League of Legends, while also paving the road for future games.
Our Systems Engineers are exposed to a broad array of engineering practices, and harness their own creativity to find new avenues for automation and improvement. You might be tasked with the design and deployment of AWS servers, creation and management of virtual machines, optimization of our container engines, or with re-architecting the infrastructure of data pipelines at scale. We're looking for Systems Engineers to not only create automated solutions for day to day tasks, but to identify broader systems engineering problems. Armed with technical depth and a problem solving mindset, you'll consult and advise teams across Riot to better support their systems needs, as well as mentor and grow mentor other Systems Engineers.
- Optimize deployments and maintenance of physical servers within data centers
- Work with cloud service providers (AWS) to automate tasks (deployments, maintenance, orchestration) and design scalable server side infrastructure
- Estimate monitoring costs and evangelize on security best practices
- Develop and maintain our Docker, Kubernetes and ECS based container engines
- Cultivate and implement a comprehensive and healthy suite of monitoring and alerting best practices to measure and maximize service availability and performance
- Write automation using tools like Ansible or Salt within a CI/CD framework
- Integrate with multiple types of APIs that are used to handle a wide range of devices, such as cloud providers, Windows or Linux servers, and inventory services
- Provide direction to impact overall strategy and roadmap of infrastructure architecture across Riot
- Respond to and diagnose emerging systems errors
- Produce comprehensive user documentation around your implemented solutions
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or comparable field
- 5+ years industry experience
- Experience working with DevOps and Agile/Scrum teams
- Coding or scripting experience using languages such as, but not limited to: Python, Terraform, Ansible
- Knowledge of local storage options and maintenance practices
- System administration and imaging experience for Windows and Linux servers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill for technical and non-technical audiences
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).