Environment Matte Painter - Unpublished Fighting Game
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Delivering visually stunning experiences for a global audience while also building new games gives artists exciting and complex problems to solve. Here, artists are working not only with one another, but also side-by-side with game designers, narrative writers, and audio designers and engineers to ensure that each piece of content from Riot reaches the level of quality players deserve. From animations to illustrations, cinematics to comics, characters to environments, we work as a team to put players first.
As a Matte Painter of Environments, you will create stunning illustrative interpretations of Runeterra’s wide variety of locations, setting a visual benchmark and style expected of a Riot product, and delighting players. You will create 2D matte backgrounds, experienced in 3D environment set pieces, that feel vibrant and alive. As a Matte Painter, who will have exceptional draftsmanship and illustrative skills, with the ability to paint in a variety of artistic styles. You will work collaboratively with narrative, design and 3D artists, to realize inspirational game environments that excite players.
As the Environment Matte Painter for Project L you will help us build an exciting new fighting game featuring some of the most iconic characters in Runeterra. We need your help in producing assets of the highest quality for our players to immerse themselves in our world. You'll work closely with the Art Director and other artists to define the style of the games environments. You'll also work collaboratively with engineers, designers, and producers, and together will deliver new, delightful experiences to our players.
- Work directly with environment artists and the narrative team, in creating exceptional and authentic interpretations of the Runeterra regions of the League of Legends IP
- Create stunning environment concepts that encompass a wide range of thematic worlds
- Create beautifully composed scenes, that are able to lead the eye of the player
- Create environments that understand gameplay balance, and strong visual hierarchy
- Provide detailed illustrations of a wide variety of environmental subject matter - including natural, fantastical and architectural elements
- Provide paintovers of 3D blockouts and temp assets - to help refine and polish the artwork
- Drive the development of style guides
- Collaborate with the Art Director and Environment Team to develop compelling environments that delight players
- 2+ Years industry experience
- Advanced skills in 2D Software - Photoshop, Painter or similar
- Traditional fine art skills with a deep understanding of composition and narrative through environment design
- Ability to create quick iterations and concepts as well as highly rendered images in illustrative style
- Experience in a lead role
- Skills in 3D software such as Maya
- Experience in the videogames industry
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).