Senior Datacenter Engineer - Infrastructure Platform
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
Datacenter Engineers at Riot play a significant role in supporting our global player base by using their expertise to build and operate efficient infrastructure solutions. We're looking for a rare mix of knowledge and hands-on experience with a number of infrastructure specializations, as well as depth of expertise in at least two of those areas. Your specializations could include operating systems such as Linux, or Windows, or experience with infrastructure and hardware areas such as databases, provider networking, data center networking, or data centers.
As a Senior Datacenter Engineer on the Infrastructure Platform team, you’ll be tasked with designing, deploying, and operating our global infrastructure. This will include creating blueprints, working with suppliers to identify and validate equipment specifications, and working with vendors to integrate and deploy to our data centers across the world. By wielding your automation toolkit and knowledge of backend systems, you will design and implement scalable infrastructure solutions. This will involve interacting with software, network, and systems technologies within your immediate initiative, as well as collaborating with teams across Riot to understand their needs, and to provide support and mentorship in order to create alignment for infrastructure solutions at Riot. You will work alongside a passionate team of software and infrastructure engineers. We combine strong expertise in networking, systems, and developer tooling to automate and improve the way we store, process, and distribute data for League of Legends, while also paving the road for future games.
- Design Riot’s data centers from physical assets (servers, network devices, rack design) through to location and global connectivity including the creation and maintaining of standardized documentation
- Research emerging trends in the datacenter industry and evaluate their applications at Riot
- Manage 3rd parties and orchestrate work across multiple Riot teams and external partners
- Design infrastructure architecture for use across Riot
- Design server hardware standards and processes to ensure Riot is running the right firmware and software across its infrastructure footprint
- Help design and optimize global infrastructure logistic processes and systems to work with suppliers, vendors, and integrators to maximize predictability and minimize overhead
- Optimize deployments and maintenance of physical servers within data centers
- Respond to and diagnose emerging systems errors
- Produce comprehensive user documentation around your implemented solutions
- Mentor and lead other Rioters
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or comparable field
- 6+ years industry experience
- Experience working with DevOps and Agile/Scrum teams
- Able to interact with infrastructure programmatically via tools/languages like Python, Ansible, and Terraform.
- Knowledge of networking services (DNS), routing (BGP), protocols (TCP/IP), and tools (ping, tracert)
- Knowledge of storage options and maintenance practices
- System administration and imaging technology for Windows and Linux servers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill for technical and non-technical audiences
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).