Software Engineer - Build & Release
Established in early 2016, the Hong Kong Studio is Riot’s first international game development studio. We’re a diverse team, representing 15 nationalities and partnering with teams in the LA headquarters on our flagship title League of Legends, and on an unannounced R&D project, putting the “s” in Riot Games.
While operating like a startup—with autonomy and total ownership—we’re doubling down on our goals to build a world-class studio. In a vibrant, international city, on a continent that is home to the League of Legends World Champion teams for the last seven years running,
Riot Games is searching the planet for passionate people, throughout game development.
Will you help build Riot’s blueprint for a global, multi-studio world and make amazing games?
As a further step forward, we’ve done away with the traditional hierarchical title structure. Even though titles don’t really matter at any Riot office, taking this extra step helps strengthen our desire to keep teamwork at the forefront of what we do. Focusing on working together helps promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity so every Rioter can be their best while we boldly pursue games.
That's where you come in:
The Build and Deploy team will oversee the fundamental core of how the Hong Kong studio develops the games we are working on, by supporting the pipelines and processes to build, test and deployment of the game - which touches nearly every team at the Studio!
League of Legends for instance runs on thousands of servers around the globe to support millions of concurrent players. Our diverse infrastructure including bare metal game servers for performance, Docker (DC/OS) for micro-services and VMs for stateful applications. We collaborate with our infrastructure technology teams to develop tooling to operate at this massive scale.
As our first Build Engineer you'll be involved with building automation, tools, and standards for the development, deployment, and operations of Riot's HK studio.
We use tools to improve our configuration management, service discovery, and secret storage tools, to support hundreds of services deployed to dozens of data centres to be handled easily and securely.
As an essential member of the studio, you'll support the tech behind the dynamic and stable release rhythm that the studio will face
Being a reliable source at providing feedback to the development teams, you'll act as a trusted and knowledgable partner to them. Within minutes, this will allow your partners to see if a build is broken and then deploy their code to internal environments that we provide for daily play tests and debugging.
- You are an individual contributor software engineer, writing code and authoring architectural design and documenting it.
- You will develop a scalable and maintainable infrastructure for building, testing and deploying.
- You are working with Developers and QA to ensure builds are stable upon release and to the highest Quality standards.
- You will manage Continuous Integration, merging/branching, deployment and other automated processes to help improve workflows and Quality
- You have proven abilities to complete full projects of a scope/complexity larger than a single individual end-to-end feature.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- Deep domain expertise in Build and Release architectures at scale
- Technical fundamentals in software development, scripting and build architecture
- Experience in more than one programming language (C++, C#, Python) and scripting (Powershell, Bash, Python or similar)
- Knowledge and experience in Perforce, Git and SVN
- Knowledge of Jenkins or other CI
- Full relocation support
- Full health insurance for you, your spouse and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play Fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we will notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us that you take play seriously.