Established in early 2016, the Hong Kong Studio is Riot’s first international game development studio. We’re a diverse team, representing 15 nationalities and partnering with teams in the LA headquarters on our flagship title League of Legends, and on an unannounced R&D project, putting the “s” in Riot Games.
While operating like a startup—with autonomy and total ownership—we’re doubling down on our ambitions to build out a world-class studio. In a vibrant, international city, on a continent that is home to the League of Legends World Champion teams for the last seven years running,
Riot Games is searching the planet for hardworking, passionate people, across all aspects of game development.
Will you help build Riot’s blueprint for a global, multi-studio world and make amazing games?
As a further step forward, we’ve done away with the traditional hierarchical title structure. Even though titles don’t really matter at any Riot office, taking this extra step helps reinforce our desire to keep teamwork at the forefront of what we do. Focusing on working together helps promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity so every Rioter can thrive while we relentlessly pursue games.
That's where you come in:
The Build and Deploy team will be responsible for the fundamental core of how the Hong Kong studio develops the games we are working on, by supporting the pipelines and processes to build, test and deployment of the game - which touches nearly every team within the organization.
League of Legends for instance runs on thousands of servers around the globe to support millions of concurrent players. Our diverse infrastructure including bare metal game servers for performance, Docker (DC/OS) for microservices and VMs for stateful applications. We collaborate with our infrastructure technology teams to develop tooling to operate at this massive scale.
Being our first Build Engineer, you'll be involved with building automation, tools, and standards for the development, deployment, and operations of Hong Kong's projects.
We use tools to improve our configuration management, service discovery, and secret storage tools, to allow hundreds of services deployed to dozens of datacenters to be handled easily and securely. Augmenting our deployment tooling to support scheduled deploys, automatic rollbacks, zero downtime deploys, canary analysis and much more.
As a key member of the studio, you'll support the tech behind the dynamic and stable release cadence that the studio will face
Being a reliable source at providing feedback to the development and design teams, you'll act as a trusted and knowledgable partner to them. Within minutes, this will allow your partners to see if a build is broken and then deploy their code to internal environments that we provide for daily play tests and debugging.
Are you ready to join us on this journey?
- In this position, you are an individual contributor software engineer, writing code and authoring architectural design and documenting it.
- You will develop a scalable and maintainable infrastructure for building, testing and deploying.
- You are working with Developers and QA to ensure builds are stable upon release and to the highest Quality standards.
- You will manage Continuous Integration, merging/branching, deployment and other automated processes to help improve workflows and Quality
- You have proven abilities to complete full projects of a scope/complexity larger than a single individual end-to-end feature. This includes breaking down the project and working across multiple people and multiple disciplines.
- You describe yourself as a generalist and you have particular interest or strength in infrastructure, tools and automation.
- Strong fundamentals in software development, networking and storage. You will be required to operate with a very diverse set of technologies.
- Advanced skill in more than one programming language (for example C++, C#, Java, Go, Python)
- Distributed systems
- Perforce, Git and SVN
- Operating services - (experience at scale is a plus)
- Knowledge of Jenkins or other CI
- PowerShell, Python, bash or similar
- AWS, GCP, Container or VM/cluster Orchestration
- Networking (TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP, SSL)
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we will notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us that you take play seriously.