Engineering Manager - Unpublished Fighting Game
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As an Engineering Manager, you’ll predominantly offer creative solutions to organizational design. You’ll also serve as a mentor for a wide range of engineers, overseeing performance management, growth opportunities, and accountability.
We're looking for an Engineering Manager for Project L, our new fighting game! You will assist in defining our technical foundations while developing a team of 4-7 Software Engineers. You will work collaboratively with other disciplines to bring your engineering mindset in helping make better product decisions for players. You will report directly to and will work with the Product Engineering Lead and HR Business Partners to build a team of outstanding Engineers.
- Manage a group of 4-7 software engineers, coaching them in their personal development
- Partner with discipline, product, and office leadership to develop and implement strategies for improving team health and effectiveness
- Take an active part in delivering on the technical health of product
- Be an advocate for maintaining the technical foundation for the product
- Develop healthy relationships with other teams at Riot
- Develop processes and methodologies to improve the effectiveness of cross-team collaboration with remote offices
- 7+ years professional experience as a software engineer
- 3+ years as an Engineering Manager leading a team of 3+ engineers
- 1+ year(s) as a Tech Lead guiding the direction and implementation of a product
- Experience recruiting candidates and growing an Engineering team
- Experience being an active participant in technical discussions including code reviews, technical design reviews or creating new standards to improve the team
- Strong knowledge of C++ and Go programming languages
- Desire to work collaboratively with your Engineering team on technical design and implementation
- Experience defining micro-services based architectures, scalable systems architecture, developing large, maintainable software systems
- Experience in game development using Unreal Engine 4
- Experience flexing your professional skills to meet the needs of the product, including leading small teams, coaching new leaders, or diving into the code as an individual contributor
- Ability to champion development practices designed to increase team effectiveness while continuously delivering player value and keeping tech-debt low
- You believe that diverse teams are fundamentally more effective. You work actively to promote an environment where individuals on the team feel included and are encouraged to contribute their perspectives to help the team make better decisions
- Medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play funds so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).