Development Manager - League of Legends
Established in early 2016, the Hong Kong Studio is Riot’s first international game development studio. We’re a diverse team, representing more than 15 nationalities and partnering with teams in the LA headquarters on League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, and Legends of Runeterra. On top of this, we’re currently building teams for Project A, a character-based tactical shooter, and Project L, our take on the fighting game genre.
While operating like a startup—with autonomy and total ownership—we’re doubling down on our goals to build a world-class studio in a vibrant, international city, on a continent that is home to the League of Legends World Champion teams. The Hong Kong Studio is looking for talented, passionate people across all aspects of game development to help build Riot’s blueprint for a global, multi-studio world... and to make great games!
We focus on working together to promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity so every Rioter can be their best while we boldly pursue games. This means less emphasis on titles and hierarchy and more emphasis on creating the right environment to ship excellent experiences to players.
That's where you come in:
As a Development Manager you will support a diverse set of developers focused on delivering more content and games to our players . You will track work, build work systems and make sure that you and your team are total owners of all commitments to players. You’ll inspire teams to collaborate across time (zones) and space, and help guide work to ensure we’re focused on the work that brings the most value to players.
- Own delivery leadership for content on one or more products along with the engineering team that supports them.
- Audit existing development processes and bolster them to provide forward visibility and predictability for deliveries. This includes commitments, backlog, and matching work to capacity, tracking all workflows (planned/unplanned), and clarifying Acceptance Criteria and Definition of Done.
- Prioritize work to help reduce distractions and impacted velocity
- Provide transparency to product leadership - reporting risks around development velocity and staffing (skill gaps and performance),
- Identifies and manages partners
- Build healthy teams through observation and survey, and then develop a culture of continuous improvement.
- Build accountability, through agreements and follow-up. (e.g., sprints, achievements, roles and responsibilities)
- 5+ years of experience with making and launching software as a service games.
- Knowledge and experience using a deep toolkit of development methodologies, and experience in adapting to new situations.
- Knowledge of systems-based thinking frameworks, and a willingness to invest time to understand causal motivations
- Strong negotiation skills, with a mix of patience and goal orientation to navigate complex cultural, technology and product requirements.
- Deep spirit of perseverance and ability to guide teams and a dedication to seeing challenges through to their end
- Mandarin Fluency
- Full relocation support
- Full health insurance for you, your spouse and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play Fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we will notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us that you take play seriously.