Art Lead - Concept Art - Unannounced R&D Product
As an Art Lead at Riot Games you will help hire, coach a group of cross discipline artists who bring visuals to life. You will communicate the difficult challenges artists face and set up the best environment for your team to handle those challenges. By understanding the goals and needs of each artist, you will help establish a clear path for everyone to achieve their goals. You will identify strategic art resource needs and promote hiring for all art roles on the team. By being part of the leadership team, you will develop strategies and eliminate obstacles with other leaders across the studio.
As a Lead Artist on the R&D team, you will report to the Director of Art Management. You’ll have the chance to move a game from prototype through pre-production. You’ll manage a cross discipline team of artists, set art goals, and own the execution strategy. The Lead Artist, for this role, is ideally a concept centric artist who enjoys working in other art disciplines. To bring the new world to life, we ask that you collaborate with designers, writers, audio designers, engineers, and producers.
- Generate concept and key-art that represents the emotional intent of the game
- Work closely with design to ensure the art supports the game experience
- Balance visual satisfaction and gameplay clarity to ensure amazing worlds and characters
- Partner with production to develop high level execution plans
- Set a clear vision, provide consistent feedback, and build trust with your team
- Push art quality where players see it and know when to pull back on quality where they won’t
- Take initiative to solve problems with excellent follow through
- Hire and manage a small team of cross discipline artists
- 5+ years professional experience in senior art roles
- Ability to generate high quality character concept art
- 1 shipped mobile and or AAA game title
- Mobile game development experience
- Outsource art management experience
- Ability to generate high quality environment concept art
- Experience as an Art Lead or Art Director
- Shipped a new IP
- Worked on the project from inception through completion
- Maya or Unity experience
As a part of the application process, you will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of work and may be asked to complete an art test.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).