Established in early 2016, the Hong Kong Studio is Riot’s first international game development studio. We’re a diverse team, representing 15 nationalities and partnering with teams in the LA headquarters on our flagship title League of Legends, and on an unannounced R&D project, putting the “s” in Riot Games.
While operating like a startup—with autonomy and total ownership—we’re doubling down on our ambitions to build out a world-class studio in a vibrant, international city, on a continent that is home to the League of Legends World Champion teams for the last seven years running. The Hong Kong Studio is searching the planet for talented, passionate people, across all aspects of game development, to help build Riot’s blueprint for a global, multi-studio world... and to make great games!
As a further step forward, we’ve done away with the traditional hierarchical title structure. Even though titles don’t really matter at any Riot office, taking this extra step helps reinforce our desire to keep teamwork at the forefront of what we do. Focusing on working together helps promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity so every Rioter can thrive while we relentlessly pursue games.
That's where you come in.
As a Gameplay Engineer, you’ll work with cross-functional teams in creating innovative content and incredible experiences for players around the world, focusing on the R&D project(s) we are partnering on. At Riot, our engineers come in all shapes and sizes and work with many technologies, we expect a Gameplay Engineer at the Hong Kong studio to be:
- Player focused. Players are the reason we get to do what we do, so every one of us at Riot is a player advocate, promoter of player value and quick to address player concern.
- Passionate about learning. You strive to be your best and you value environments that foster creativity, growth and personal excellence.
- Community minded. You embrace your role in the community. You aim to connect players of all backgrounds across the globe through their shared passion for games.
- Agile. You live and breathe continuous delivery and continuous improvement. You are fluent in agile development and sprint rituals, skilled in sizing, prioritizing and delivering on user stories.
- Communicative. Communication is key to our success. You are someone who seeks to clarify goals and expectations. You hit meetings on time, stay on top of emails, team chat, and keep peers up-to-date. You encourage critical feedback and discussion.
- Technology driven. You are actively exploring new tech because you are genuinely motivated to learn and grow as an engineer. Thus, you will either have experience in some of this stuff, or you’ll be hungry to get experience in our stack, which is built on: C++, Java, Lua, Python, DirectX, OpenGL, in-house UI frameworks, backend microservices and more.
- Design, develop and implement intricate gameplay systems and features
- Create and/or contribute to best practices, development process and coding standards
- Demonstrate a high bar of craft excellence for your team
- Cultivate your team's culture of collaboration, creativity and passion for game making
- Mentor and coach members to build talent, knowledge and craft over the long term
- Manage strong relationships between the disciplines of the studio as Design, Art, QA and Product
Additional insight into applying to Riot Engineering is available on our discipline page
We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously. Apply below and don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter.