Senior Software Engineer, Gameplay - Unpublished R&D Product
Established in early 2016, the Hong Kong Studio is Riot’s first international game development studio. We’re a diverse team, representing 15 nationalities and partnering with teams in the LA headquarters on our flagship title League of Legends, and on an unannounced R&D project, putting the “s” in Riot Games.
While operating like a startup—with autonomy and total ownership—we’re doubling down on our goals to build a world-class studio. In a vibrant, international city, on a continent that is home to the League of Legends World Champion teams for the last seven years running,
Riot Games is searching the planet for passionate people, throughout game development.
Will you help build Riot’s blueprint for a global, multi-studio world and make amazing games?
As a further step forward, we’ve done away with the traditional hierarchical title structure. Even though titles don’t really matter at any Riot office, taking this extra step helps strengthen our desire to keep teamwork at the forefront of what we do. Focusing on working together helps promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity so every Rioter can be their best while we boldly pursue games.
That's where you come in.
As a Gameplay Engineer, you’ll work with diverse teams in creating fresh content and incredible experiences for players around the world, focusing on the R&D project(s) we are partnering on. At Riot, our engineers come in all shapes and sizes and work with many technologies so we expect them to have the following
- Player-focused: You have a passion for games that inspire you to achieve the best quality possible to players worldwide by empathising with the perspectives and plights of players and foster their needs
- Passionate about learning. You aim to be your best and you value environments that foster creativity, growth and personal excellence.
- Community minded. You embrace your role in the community. You aim to connect players of all backgrounds across the globe through their shared passion for games.
- Agile-enabled: you're experienced with Agile methodologies and know what to expect from it; you can turn on a dime to support new plans when business and development priorities shift
- A communicator: Communication is essential to our success. You add value by clarifying expectations. You hit meetings on time, stay on top of emails, team chat, and keep peers up-to-date. Also prioritising feedback; being vocal about concerns, you also know how to go about it in a diplomatic manner, and can adapt according to whoever you are speaking with
- Technology inspired. You are exploring new tech because you are genuinely motivated to grow as an engineer. Not trying to always chase the latest technology trend just for the sake of it, but because of its value.
- 5+ Years professional software experience
- Expert level in Game Engineering using Unity or another engine (e.g., League, Unreal, etc)
- Experience having worked in a Game Development setup
- Experience building content tools and pipelines
- Experience with Lean or Agile development processes (Scrum, Kanban, etc)
Additional insight into applying to Riot Engineering is available on our discipline page
- Full relocation support
- Full health insurance for you, your spouse and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play Fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profis
We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously. Apply below and don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter.