Development Manager - Legends of Runeterra
The Production discipline at Riot helps teams understand the vision of the product, and how we’re going to get there. We assist in building and delivering experiences beyond our audience's expectations. We’re involved in almost every product you can think of, be it an epic new skin, the Mechs vs. Minions board game, or the internal tools needed by engineers or artists to speed up their craft. Whatever the calling, we identify and deliver the solution that our audience needs.
Development Managers are delivery leaders at Riot. We lead teams to deliver player value through effective agile work systems and practices. While driving internal alignment and accountability for teams and development organizations, we are consistently focusing on continual improvement.
As a Development Manager on the Legends of Runeterra team, you’ll be responsible for many aspects of making sure that our game and features ship successfully, on-time and on quality. You will work within an initiative to ensure that your teams are working effectively and delivering their commitments on time to reach our goals. You’ll also work with Product Leadership to make sure that team plans and milestones are on track. Our Development Managers on LoR are:
- Dev-focused: You prioritize team health, efficiency, and effectiveness above all else. You have good development habits and you set standards for the team in that regard. You recognize that the game is best when the potential of every team member is fully realized and you never stop looking for ways to support the team.
- Player-focused: You have player empathy, so you know that one of the worst feelings in the world is discovering that the server's down, a card set is mis-balanced or UI is confusing; you'll strive to keep everything humming, so that doesn't happen and if it does, we know how to handle it.
- Proactive, Adaptive Problem Solvers: Help the team breakdown complex problems into clearly understood, actionable tasks and see everything through to completion
- Effective Communicator for the team: With you as the lead, your teams know what is expected, where dependencies may lie, risk and mitigations plans, and what good looks like. When there is a change, you are leading communications ensuring everyone is in the know.
- Calm under pressure: you exude calm even as everything seems to be falling apart around you. When times are the toughest, people look to you to feel like everything will be OK.
- A force multiplier: you know that no one is an island and work with the team to make sure that we’re all doing well instead of tanking everything in silence.
- Mobile Adept: You’re familiar with live service games, especially mobile ones.
- Drive work to completion with a keen eye on an excellent play experience
- Collaborate with other initiatives to complete shared features and content
- Maintain an initiative level schedule
- As needed, run “what if” scenarios to aid with decision making
- Update stakeholders with scope status, risks and propose mitigation strategies
- Manage initiative Leads backlog and hold other initiative leads accountable for completing their work
- Work with team to create feature and content pipelines and workflows
- Set and maintain excellent development habits
- Continuously improve the initiative work systems
- Monitor, mitigate and escalate team health issues
- Ensure the initiative is running all required rituals in an effective manner
- 4+ years of experience working in a feature/product delivery role.
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams delivering features to players/consumers in an always on live service environment
- Experience with Agile/Scrum, Kanban work systems
- Experience helping teams optimize their work processes
- Experience working on a Game Development team
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).