Environment Art Lead - Unpublished Fighting Game
Established in 2020, the Singapore Studio is Riot’s second international game development studio. Working together with our Hong Kong Studio, Riot has been expanding our footprint in Asia and accelerating our talent growth to develop games that deliver great experiences to our players. Our mission is to “scale Riot’s games to hyper-serve players.”
We partner with our LA headquarters on game development for League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, and Legends of Runeterra. We’re also building teams for VALORANT and Project L, our take on a fighting game. The Singapore Studio is seeking talented, passionate Rioters with backgrounds in all areas of game development to build games that make it better to be a player.
We’re focused on working together to promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity, so every Rioter can be their best while we boldly pursue games.
That’s where you come in.
As Environment Art Lead for Project L, you will channel your extensive knowledge of game environment development to breathe life into the world of an exciting new fighting game.
You’ll expand and support a high performing external team, and give them the guidance and context they need in order to deliver amazing concepts, models that set industry standards on craft, meet all technical requirements, and match the game’s art style. Through a mix of craft training and hands on leadership, you will level up the team’s craft, mediate and resolve craft disagreements and misalignment, and keep the team motivated towards creating excellent experiences for our players. Using your broad knowledge of art, craft and technique, you’ll set clear goals for your team, and make sure the process of delivering those goals is as smooth as possible for both your team and their stakeholders.
You will partner closely with the product teams and other artists, ensuring that the concepts are not only excellent in a vacuum, but also effectively promote and align with larger products. You will maintain your own craft skills, inspire creativity and keep a high quality bar with hands on environment artwork as you deem necessary.
- As overall environment art lead on the team, you will oversee the quality of the work the team delivers, and set the bar for excellence
- You will build a world class team by sourcing AAA environment art talent in China, and develop and grow their skills through training and feedback
- You will collaborate with Rioters worldwide, to make sure product goals are fulfilled and working practices are appropriate
- You will set a clear vision, provide consistent feedback, build trust with your team
- You will drive the development of Style Guides and Process Guides
- You will lead and improve team rituals to support high quality craft and individual growth
- You will accomplish your mission with complete autonomy if the need arises; you're dedicated in finding creative and effective solutions to vigilantly eliminate difficult problems
- Demonstrated ability to create high quality, hand-painted environment concepts, including an understanding of how to produce assets which are critical in driving the creative process
- Extreme proficiency in environment art fundamentals
- Proven experience leading/mentoring teams and individuals. Growth minded and motivated towards teaching, enabling, and coaching other concept artists
- Experience giving thorough direction and delivering timely, clear feedback
- A strong communicator and able to convey abstract/sophisticated ideas in a concise way, in English or in Chinese
- Proven experience leading/mentoring teams and individuals. Growth minded and motivated towards teaching, enabling, and coaching other artists
- Experience teaching art, and character concepting in particular, online or in person
- Familiarity with League of Legends Characters, IP Universes and Lore
- Fluent in written and spoken Mandarin a plus
- Full relocation support
- Full health insurance for you, your spouse and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play Fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.
As a part of the application process, candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio of their work.