Staff Software Engineer - Live Services Tech Lead
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
As a leader within Live Services, you will be part of a broad team that enables Riot to launch and operate multiple games at scale. You will work with teams across Live Operations, Player Support, and Localization. Whether game teams need help serving millions of players around the globe, ensuring players’ issues are resolved in a timely manner, or simply ensuring players are able to play their game in their native language, Live Services is there to support them.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in many broader domains. As a Staff Software Engineer in Live Services, you will provide technical direction across Riot’s Live Services group. This includes Player Support tools, Live Operations automation, and localization tooling used across all Riot games. You will ensure that our products meet Riot’s technical standards, follow development best-practices, and have solid architectural underpinnings. You will do this both through your own individual contributions as well as through mentorship of technical leaders on each team within Live Services. At Riot, our tech leads are often called on to help with the last mile for a project by being hands-on writing code.
- Set the technical direction and standards for Live Services products
- Partner with your Engineering Lead to ensure every aspect of engineering leadership on Live Services is appropriately covered
- Lead and contribute to technical design and implementation, using your broad knowledge to guide complex technical decision-making
- Collaboratively manage the process of delivering high-quality experiences to players and internal customers, lifting the expertise and skills of your fellow Rioters
- Be accountable for, the quality and ongoing maintenance of your team’s code-base
- Continuously drive collaboration and alignment with various internal and globally dispersed teams
- Hold your team accountable to Riot’s engineering standards and Riot Values
- BS in Computer Science (or equivalent experience)
- 10+ years of industry experience
- Experience working in on-call and live operations settings
- Experience collaborating with remote teams
- 5+ years experience with Python or Java
- 5+ years distributed systems experience
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).