Principal Software Engineer - League, Client Team
Software Engineers at Riot bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas and also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. We work with both new and current technology, creating innovative solutions to overcome high-volume obstacles and to deliver player value.
As a Principal Software Engineer and technical lead of the League Client foundation, you’ll report to the team’s Engineering Manager in our office in Los Angeles. You will make the League Client more performant, improve development workflow efficiency, and reduce application complexity. You'll build and monitor health metrics to increase client stability. The League of Legends client uses the Chromium Embedded Framework to render major components of the League experience like Champion Select, Player Profile, Collections, Queue Selection, and Lobbies. You can read more about our current projects here.
- Set the technical direction and standards for the League Client desktop application
- Lead and contribute to technical design and implementation
- Write and review code to make improvements to the League Client front-end and foundation
- Work with product owners, designers, and other engineers to create the best possible experiences for players
- Have a deep hands-on understanding of, and be accountable for, the quality and maintainability of your team’s code-base
- Drive collaboration and alignment with various internal stakeholders and teams
- Optimize the performance and develop low-level client features
- Participate in our team’s on-call rotation
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience as a technical leader with the ability to set technical vision
- 8+ years of software development experience
- Experience developing large-scale, modular desktop applications
- Experience with EmberJS or other web application frameworks (ReactJS, AngularJS)
- Experience optimizing the performance of code
- Experience building applications using the Chromium Embedded Framework
- Expert knowledge of C++
- Experience building test automation
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).