The Distinguished Engineer for the Technology Department is a role that spans across all of Riot Games (Games, Esports, Riot Player Platform, Entertainment). The Distinguished Engineer understands not only the current needs of our game and product organizations, but to envision the future needs of Riot Games from a Technology perspective.
Given that, you will balance responsibilities across three areas:
Deep Technology Expertise
- Games are our focus. You will help realize the successful vision and implementation of technology products and solutions across Riot. To accomplish this, you have experience with successful development of global-scale online games and services.
Leadership & Communication
- As our senior-most technologists at Riot, you have experience delivering game technology solutions through your influence, technical leadership and mentorship of other principal-level technologists.
Thought Leadership & Technical Vision
- Given the dynamic nature of our business, you will ensure that our technical vision (and resulting 3-5 year roadmap) is sufficiently flexible to not only meet the needs of game and platform teams today, but is agile enough to respond to the changing needs of players in the future.
- Establish core strategic technologies for Riot Games.
- Help develop our 3-5 year technology roadmap, aligned with Riot's overall vision and goals. This roadmap will not only serve as a guide for game teams to align with, but this roadmap will inform Central Technology's product roadmap.
- Ensure our technology roadmap is relevant with technology governance and stewardship (through chairing the Architecture Working Group).
- Work across our Product Tech Leads community to agree on company standards, share knowledge and best practices.
- Be a contributor to the Game Studios product lifecycle management process. This will include ensuring that technical requirements (i.e. guardrails) are clearly defined and known by R&D teams as they prepare to move through the stages of game exploration and development.
- Be a partner with Central Technology product leadership to ensure that Central Tech is "building the right things, right". Central Tech will live or die by its ability to accelerate and provide agility to game teams and the Distinguished Engineer will be invaluable to help create the Central Tech product roadmap to meet the needs of game (and product) teams across Riot.
- Be an oversight and feedback venue to game team Executive Producers, Game Directors, Ops Directors, and Product Engineering Leads on important product-level technical decisions and their impacts on product quality, maintainability, operability, and potential timelines.
- Participate in technical due diligence for acquisitions and 3rd-party studio evaluations.
- Develop relationships with important partners across a variety of domains: Infrastructure, Game Engine & Tools, and Partner Studios
- Partner with the VP of Engineering to inform what great engineering is at Riot. This should include defining/refining the important technical competencies of engineers at Riot, in addition to informing "soft skill" expectations for how engineers partner with other development disciplines (design, art, production).
- Lead our technology research and development efforts, ensuring Riot has a shared point-of-view on latest technologies across the gaming industry.
- Ensure close partnership across the leadership for game and services architecture
- 15+ years of game development and software architecture experience in large-scale global environments.
- You are a recognized technology/engineering expert in the games industry that has shipped platform-agnostic AAA titles, whether it is PC, Console or Mobile.
- You have a broad technical background with game engines, graphics, gameplay, multiplayer networking, AI, and tools.
- You champion the player experience and build creative technical solutions to solve player pain.
- You can work across multiple disciplines which include Art, Creative, Audio, Design, and Engineering to create the best experiences for players possible.
- Graduate degree in Computer Science or related engineering/games development field.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).