VFX Artist II - League, Champions
Job Id: 4404
As part of the Real-Time VFX team, you’ll design and help implement the sleek, dynamic and dramatic special effects that add atmosphere and depth to gameplay. With your experience, you’ll create aesthetically astounding visual effects that communicate essential game information. You’ll use your artistic and technical skills to breathe life into undead spells, channel primal emotions and capture the essence of hundreds of champions.
As a VFX Artist on the Gameplay team, you will report to the VFX Art Lead. You will create VFX for new Champions and Champion Updates at high quality with minimal guidance. A Mid Level VFX Artists on Champions team participates in the sharing, and upholding of Champion Bible and VFX Clarity style guides. There is one VFX artist per production pod, so the artist is accountable for the holistic ownership and execution of gameplay visualization. This means a strong willingness to be part of a highly inclusive, and collaborative team. Mid level VFX artists are encouraged to appropriately manage their product obligations while striving to additionally support smaller VFX efforts like VFX clarity updates when appropriate.
- Designing new visuals in gameplay space that broaden the League IP
- Balance gameplay needs and thematic direction while hitting craft quality benchmarks for VFX consistently
- Create aesthetically astounding visual effects that communicate essential game information and capture the essence of hundreds of characters with guidance
- Seeking growth opportunities from team members in and out of product space that work towards growth goals.
- If needed, work with sister teams to accurately represent established sources of power in Runeterra.
Incorporating resonant elements from an existing Champion as a part of their respective Champion Update.
- 3+ years’ experience in video games industry
- Skills in 3D/2D Software - Maya, Photoshop
- Experience creating stylized real-time VFX
- Shipped titles as an VFX Artist
- Proficiency in VFX fundamentals like timing, shape language, and color theory.
- Knowledge of the MOBA genre, ideally League of Legends, as it pertains to game design, isometric content and visual clarity
- Familiarity with the League of Legends IP and skins universes
- Experience with advanced modeling like rigging and animating
As a part of the application process, you will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of your work and may be asked to complete an art test.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).