Senior Software Engineer - Production Engineering
Job Id: REQ-0002139
Production Engineering at Riot is challenged with diving into our most ambiguous technology spaces between games, central services and infrastructure to solve our availability and visibility challenges as Riot continues to grow into a multi-game ecosystem. To succeed as a Senior Engineer on this team you will need to partner with any engineering team at Riot on multiple technical stacks. You will report to the Head of Live Engineering at Riot.
As a Senior Engineer you will work on a large scope of architecture at Riot. You will design solutions to help teams implement standards you have established to make services easier to operate and maintain. You'll partner with technical leads across Riot.
You're right for this role if the idea of working on high impact, high visibility, high expectation projects that provide demonstrated availability improvements for our players excites you. You love building iterative approaches to problems and know how to compromise between ideal solutions and practical outcomes. You believe that just because things are hard doesn't mean they aren't worth doing.
- Design and modify services to enhance availability and visibility
- Establish meaningful, long lived, standards across multiple technical stacks
- Provide emergent support and maintenance to existing platforms
- Be on rotational on-call for live product support and operational assessment
- Provide meaningful code review for other members of the team
- Produce comprehensive user documentation around your implemented solutions
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field or relevant professional experience
- Experience with API design using REST
- Understand networking - HTTP down to the network layer
- 2+ Years working in a Site Reliability capacity
- Experience with designing, prioritizing and maintaining high-capacity, high-availability, and high-performant software, especially back-end services
- Familiarity with Site Reliability best practices
- Experience working in container-based ecosystems and with a container scheduler (e.g. Marathon, Mesos, Kubernetes, GKE, or Amazon ECS)
- Experience with distributed systems, specifically microservices
- Have created technical standards and agreements in a multi-team environment
- Understand relational databases like MySQL
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, especially Jenkins
- Understand software performance and influence latency in online games
- Experience with AWS (or comparable cloud environments)
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical and dental to you and your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
Let's Thrive Together:
Because together we are better. It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games. We know that fresh and varied perspectives will make us better at what we do, so however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, we're excited to hear from you. Don't be discouraged if you feel you don't meet every one of the requirements for a role, there's always room for growth at Riot. If you spot a role to make you want to jump out of bed in the morning, we are waiting to hear from you!