Senior Game Designer, AI Systems - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0002494
As a Game Designer, you will design and optimize the player experience. Your analytical skills, player insight, and creativity help craft in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to create innovative, player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world. Working on an early stage product, you will help decipher one of Riot's next big bets.
As a Senior Game Designer specializing in AI systems on the R&D team, you excel in designing Mechanics and Systems for both enemy and ally AI. You partner with other designers, artists, and engineers to create and iterate on a variety of features, from core systems like navigation and aggro to crafting specific behavior trees and abilities for individual AI. All of these features contribute to a combat experience which is deep, compelling, and always feels great to play. You will report to the Systems Lead on the team.
- Own and drive overall enemy systems and experience
- Lead other mechanics designers in good AI design and implementation practice
- Lead small cross disciplinary teams (2-5 people) to build systems and mechanics that achieve product goals.
- Collaborate with player ability designers on low level combat features and verb ecosystem
- Collaborate with level and encounter designers to deliver compelling content experiences
- Create and provide multiple potential designs and solutions. Articulate trade-offs and risks between different options.
- Playtest the game and help push for continued improvements for existing designs and fresh prototypes.
- Seek opportunities for new design spaces in collaboration with Product Managers and Design Leadership.
- 5+ years of experience in professional Game Design
- 3+ years of experience working with enemy AI
- You have demonstrated proficiency in scripting in at least one engine in a shipped title
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA+ online game
- Can create complex mechanics and systems with attention to the player impacts and downstream effects
- Experience working on a live product
- Experience designing ally AI
- Is familiar with the LoL IP
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).