Technical Game Designer - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0002491
As a Technical Game Designer, you'll be working in open design spaces to help define the direction of an exciting new gaming experience. As a Technical Designer specializing in systems and combat, you will be responsible for implementing rich features that will delight players around the world and keep them engaged.
As a Technical Game Designer within Research & Development, you’ll design and implement both in-game features and tools on an unannounced project. You will do a lot of work with combat-related features, from player abilities to enemy AI, along with progression features that augment or change the combat experience. You will report to the Systems Lead.
- Design and explain a variety of possible solutions, including the tradeoffs between them, to the team and collaboratively reach the best solution
- Be the "go to" person for complex implementations of design content, and for shepherding projects that require heavy programmer/designer interaction.
- As needed, act as a C++ gameplay software engineer no more than 50% of the time (generally closer to 35%, with some weeks at 0% and occasional emergencies near 100%
- Create tools and improve pipelines that amplify the quality and velocity of your fellow designers
- Create design documents and frameworks that help align the team around your solutions
- 2 years of C++ Development and 4+ years of Game Design experience
- OR 4+ years of Gameplay Engineering Experience
- Experience designing and implementing systems in large, ambiguous spaces
- Experience leading development on features in a rapid development environment
- Experience with balancing product goals with design decisions
- Experience developing in Unreal
- Experience with in-game mechanics and system design
- Deep knowledge of PvE action games and empathy for PvE action players
- Experience mentoring other designers
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).