Senior Internal Comms Manager (Esports)
Job Id: REQ-0003390
Esports is the business arm within Riot Games that oversees and creates the most successful, magical esports events and leagues in the world. Our Esports mission is to bring joy to billions of fans around the world. LoL Esports has been a premier global sport since 2010 that boasts more than 800 players on 100+ professional teams. The League of Legends World Championship, dubbed "Worlds" by our fans, attracts the largest viewership annually of any esports event. The VALORANT Champions Tour was launched in 2021 and represents the next pillar of success for Riot in the esports space. New: League of Legends: Wild Rift Esports! The fast-growing mobile game will represent the next big play in Riot's commitment to providing the best players in the world a sport in which they can shine and prosper.
Esports Communications therefore endeavors to shape the narrative around esports by creating communication plans, programs, and moments that celebrate Riot's playful, informal, and passionate culture. We aim to communicate with a balance of transparency and clarity that's smart, well-crafted, and authentic. We love games and how they intersect with entertainment media such as films, TV, music, consumer products, and, of course, sport! We enjoy telling the emotionally resonant stories of our professional leagues and competitors that connect us to players and our mission of being the most player-focused company in the world.
As a Senior Internal Comms Manager (Esports), reporting to the Global Head of Communications, Esports, you'll help us and Riot personnel worldwide stay informed about what's happening in and around the world of esports at Riot Games. You'll work with our executive leadership team to develop global internal comms plans for our esports products including support for priority programs, changes, or milestone cultural moments. Over time, your programs will maintain esports at Riot Games as the leaders in the esports industry and help us develop thought leaders externally as well to cement esports at Riot as the future of sport. You'll set the bar globally for how we communicate, and specifically help level up important team members through speech, script writing, presentations and coaching. You'll partner and work with multiple teams and projects simultaneously to promote agreement, collaboration, and results. You'll know and understand what's happening across the org, and surface stories that matter to the company and Riot's culture. You'll work as a trusted partner to other comms teams across Riot and with our Esports team members globally as well.
- Develop and advise on global internal communication plans and strategies for our Esports business that balance, and address, both Rioter needs and business goals, and synchronize messaging beats for maximum impact across all our internal channels
- Support the Global Head of Esports and core executive leadership team across their many internal communications needs - driving strategy, creating messaging, executive scripting, and deck building, creating narratives to support company-wide and department meetings and presentations
- Be a trusted partner, developing time-sensitive and important internal messaging and plans for the teams you support, while also evaluating and reporting on Riot team sentiment
- Partner with Riot's Enterprise Internal Comms team on comms and experiential projects, working across parts of Riot to promote agreement, collaboration, and results
- Develop relationships with global Riot partners, and find opportunities to improve engagement with our esports products and development operations from an internal comms perspective
- Identify and work on areas of opportunity where communication tools, messaging, frameworks, or channels can be improved, or new mechanisms implemented globally
- Keep a finger on the pulse of Riot Games and Esports surfacing stories and campaigns that reflect who we are, what we care about, and what we need to know
- Partner with pillar leaders and People team on any change management plans and crisis communications
- Build an authentic relationship with Riot personnel on the Esports team through transparent, thoughtful, and resonant messaging that's certified 100% free of BS
- 6+ years of experience working within the communications space serving all audiences, supporting a variety of partners and executive level leaders
- 5+ years of message, script, and speech crafting experience with building presentations for executive level leaders
- Experience directing or working with a production team to direct executives for VODs or company screenings
- Broad comms toolkit that you use to master any communication task at hand
- Experience exercising great discretion as it relates to confidential information
- Understanding of current trends in the internal comms space, with the experience to back it up
- Experience being at the table with the senior-most leaders of a company and not backing down
- Experience managing people in the past, even if at the heart you love nothing more than tactical execution
- Conversational in and passionate about esports with awareness of trends in sports, entertainment, gaming, and tech where Riot should be a part of the conversation
- You are a master deck builder, knowing how images, GIFs, videos, and other visually compelling content can enhance a message to another level
- Detailed knowledge of the esports and also the sports space
- Experience with a variety of esports and gaming communities
- Experience working with executives at tech or sports companies
- Experience writing outside your voice—you can capture a leader's essence and style with relatively little hand holding
- Passion for esports and gaming and empathy for the player and fan experience is a huge plus
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.