Technical Art Director - Team Fight Tactics
Job Id: REQ-0003582
As a Technical Art Director, you will lead and define the technical art needs across all of the different creative and technical teams on a game product. You will partner with the Art Director to inform on best practices and pipelines, workflow, and asset production so artists can work efficiently and without technical hurdles in production. Additionally, you will work with fellow Technical Art Directors across the studio to ensure healthy and consistent best practices and support across the discipline.
As the Tech Art Director on the Teamfight Tactics team, you will report to and support the Art Director of TFT. You will work with the overall MOBA-AB Director of Technical Art to drive future-facing workflows, pipelines, rigging standards, and build a long-term strategy for the technical implementation of the creative vision for Teamfight Tactics. You will lead technical artists in designing and creating rigs, tools, and shaders according to best practices. You will identify strategic art resource needs and promote hiring for all tech art roles on the team. As a part of the art leadership team, you’ll develop strategies and eliminate obstacles with other leaders to achieve broader product goals.
- Drive implementation of technical art best practices for artistic workflows and pipelines across the game
- Be the primary driver in defining and growing the discipline of tech art across the game
- Lead teams in identifying and prototyping new opportunities to incorporate technology to increase art workflow efficiency and unlock new creative opportunities
- Supervise other technical artist leads in their performance management
- Define expectations in the relationships between tech art, art, engineering, and production
- Define and implement a framework for art asset technical performance
- Fill in initial tech art gaps on new or exploratory products or teams, and set them up for sustainability
- Ensure proper staffing and allocation of technical artists across product teams
- 8+ years of experience as a technical artist in games or related industries
- 4+ years experience in management in games or related industries
- Experience in working collaboratively with external vendors and partners
- Experience with and commitment to building long-term maintainable, testable, portable, and stable systems
- Highly proficient communication skills and capacity to act as an ambassador between art, product, and engineering
- Experience with Maya and scripting in Python
- Experience in shader development (e.g. HLSL)
- Experience with ZBrush, Substance, and simplygon pipelines
- Experience in at least one industry standard game engine such as Unreal or Unity
- Professional experience working in mobile development and cross-platform experience
As a part of the application process, candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of their work and may be asked to complete an art test.
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.