Senior User Researcher
Job Id: REQ-0003930
Established in 2020, the Singapore Studio is Riot’s second international game development studio. Working together with our Hong Kong Studio, Riot has been expanding our footprint in Asia and accelerating our talent growth to develop games that deliver great experiences to our players. Our mission is to “scale Riot’s games to hyper-serve players.”
We partner with our LA headquarters on game development for League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, and Legends of Runeterra. We’re also building teams for VALORANT and Project L, our take on a fighting game. The Singapore Studio is seeking talented, passionate Rioters with backgrounds in all areas of game development to build games that make it better to be a player.
We’re focused on working together to promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity, so every Rioter can be their best while we boldly pursue games.
That's where you come in
The Strategic Advisory department empowers Rioters' decision-making to be more data-informed. We're an interdisciplinary group of scientists, consultants, and strategists from all sorts of backgrounds who join together to represent and advocate for players around the world. We believe that illuminating the globally diverse experiences, behaviors, and needs of players is essential to Riot living up to our player-focused mission. We're a group united by our love of games, science, and helping others succeed.
As a Senior User Researcher in the Singapore Studio, you will be part of the Riot Hong Kong and Singapore Studio Strategic Advisory team. Instead of embedding into a specific product, you will be part of Studio’s Advisory team, serving products across the studio by creating foundational research, business intelligence tools, reports, and executing project-specific research needs.
You will be closest to players and represent players’ voices for the most critical decisions to be made. You will partner with stakeholders across different products, you’ll use your research background to generate recommendations to be presented to senior leaders, and conduct product level deep-dives to better understand the performance and potential of the product. Whether it’s surveying players and target audiences or organizing playtests (focus groups) and ethnographic studies, your ultimate goal is to ensure optimal decision making. You are a master at building research activities and will support studio-wide projects from initial direction through post-launch evaluation and adjustments.
- Partner with product leads to generate insights and frameworks that’ll inform the strategic direction of the product
- Be an effective advocate for players and provide strategic guidance about their wants, needs, and behaviors
- Develop a deep product knowledge base - ensure we understand players from all over the world and the global picture of products owned and produced by HKSG studio across multiple games
- Provide strategic insights to test teams’ assumptions and inform their actions
- Construct, organize, and execute studies and surveys designed to answer business, development, product performance, and usability questions
- Design and moderate labs, guiding participants through a set of tasks and prompting them for sincere, actionable feedback
- Share your results with other Rioters in clear, illustrative presentations
- Bachelor's degree in Psychology, Anthropology, Human-Computer Interaction, or a related discipline
- 5 years of relevant research experience (an advanced degree can account for 1 to 2 years of experience depending on Master or PhD)
- Broad experience in a variety of research methods including running playtests and usability tests, conducting user interviews, and performing survey research with deep expertise in at least one of these areas
- Trusted to operate independently regardless of structure, owns larger problems/projects/workstreams
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
- Experience synthesizing and presenting data for maximum impact and understanding
- Familiarity with basic statistical methods for data analysis (regressions, correlations, factor analyses)
- Experience working with game teams, including designers, engineers, artists
- Vendor management experience
- Full relocation support
- Full health insurance for you, your spouse and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play Fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.