Software Engineering Manager - VALORANT
Job Id: 4787
Engineering leaders at Riot Games bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas, but also value the chance to work in a variety of broader domains. As an Engineering Manager, you'll offer creative solutions to organizational design while also serving as a mentor for a team of engineers, overseeing performance management, growth opportunities, and general accountability. This role reports to the Senior Manager, Software Engineering.
VALORANT is Riot's take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). As a Manager of Software Engineering on the VALORANT team you will help Riot expand and scale our newest AAA title. You will help improve the experience of VALORANT to guarantee a smooth and engaging experience for players across the globe.
VALORANT has a variety of Engineering Leadership opportunities available and this posting represents all the teams below. If you are interested and qualified, please apply below and our recruiter will reach out with more info:
VALORANT Store Team:
The Store Team is responsible for building and improving the full stack of Store features; from scalable backend services to performant game client and server tech. You'll own the technical direction for how VALORANT Store features are built, scale, and are operated in production.
Gameplay Content and Systems:
The Gameplay Systems teams are responsible for working with designers, artists, quality assurance, and production to develop game client and server code that impact our core gameplay. These teams are responsible for maps, characters, modes, gameplay balance, and core gameplay technology.
VALORANT is a team game and it's important to our players that we provide the best competitive experience while at the same time ensuring a positive and inclusive gameplay session. These teams are responsible for gameplay matchmaking, esports features, and player dynamics.
Player Experience (Gameplay):
The Platform Extensions team is responsible for exploring how we can bring the VALORANT experience to mobile and console players. This team works to ensure aiming, player movement, agent abilities, and more all feel exceptional when controlled via touch input devices and gamepads.
The Core Services Team is responsible for developing internet scale backend services for VALORANT as well as building out features from in-game all the way down to backend implementation. Core Services also works with various cutting edge networking and cloud technologies to improve performance, maintain reliability, and ensure proper scalability of VALORANT servers.
Content Support is the core engine and tools team for Valorant. The team has a large area of technical ownership including core systems like rendering, animation, audio, VFX, and localization as well as general content management and pipelines. Content Support enables developers across multiple disciplines and has a broad, foundational impact on the game.
- Create, review, and reframe an engineering vision with the team and key stakeholders including the Technology, Product, and Process Leads
- Be excited to span the entire VALORANT tech stack - from our golang services and infrastructure internals, to our game client in C++ and UE4 blueprints. We're not looking for someone who's an expert across the board and remaining agile is key
- You'll collaborate heavily with Design, Revenue Strategy, and Product Management to build in and out of game systems that create new and exciting ways to engage with VALORANT
- Identify, recruit, interview, and hire software engineers to help teams scale effectively
- Provide technical expertise throughout the product life cycle including design, implementation, and delivery of features while continuously improving the software engineering quality and efficiency
- Build and manage strong relationships between disciplines
- Lead, grow, and coach team members to build talent over the long term
- Demonstrate a high bar of craft excellence for your team
- Cultivate your team's culture of collaboration, creativity and passion for game making
- Partner closely with shared teams at Riot that provide cross game capabilities
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years experience directly leading an engineering team either as an Engineering Manager or Technical Lead & mentor
- Familiarity working in an agile environment
- Experience collaborating across departments and disciplines to create solutions
- Experience working with Golang, C, C++, C#, Python
- Experience working with Unreal Engine
- Experience working in the gaming industry
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.