Director of Technical Accounting, Audit and Advisory
Job Id: REQ-0005344
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. Since then, Riot has released multiple titles and has become a leader in global Esports. Players form the foundation of our community and it's for them that we continue to evolve and improve the player experience.
We are building a Corporate Accounting team that is passionate about Riot's mission and values and committed to working directly with teams to advise and collaboratively solve some of our most challenging business issues, allowing teams to solve important operational issues and helping them act in the best interest of Riot.
This Director of Technical Accounting, Audit and Advisory will report to the Head of Global Accounting. The Director of Accounting will lead in assessments and conclude on some of our most complex technical accounting matters and will be a subject matter expert concerning our generally accepted accounting policies.
Additionally, the Director of Accounting will build an internal audit team and lead a series of projects spanning operational, financial and compliance projects across a variety of departments and international locations, evaluating the design of process and controls and leading different audits across the Company. Other projects may include forensic investigations, international reviews and other projects to improve Riot's control environment providing objective assurance and working with teams in an advisory role.
You will assist partners make informed decisions around important matters while maintaining accounting compliance. You will partner with a diverse and global team. This is a necessary role to the Company and will shape strategic decisions and improvements with organizations.
You must demonstrate technical accounting knowledge necessary to navigate complex operational issues and cultivate partnerships with important partners. Having technical expertise and operational experience isn't enough. Understanding Riot's mission and a genuine commitment to helping teams creatively solve complex business problems is equally, if not more important.
- Analyze accounting and financial reporting considerations for complex accounting topics such as leasing, business combinations, segment reporting, goodwill/intangible assets, derivative transactions, capitalization, related party transactions and consolidation
- Help ensure the appropriate accounting conclusions are reached on a timely basis for transactions affecting our reporting requirements
- Develop our accounting policies to ensure compliance with relevant accounting standards
- Influence the end-to-end implementation of accounting policies and best practices
- Monitor, review, research and interpret US GAAP and IFRS standards and analyze new accounting pronouncements for financial statement and operational impact to the Company
- Review documents, including contracts, to identify accounting issues and propose solutions or alternatives
- Manage the research, documentation and accounting resolution for new and proposed transactions. Additionally, document the potential financial statement and operational impact to affected teams
- Build operations audit programs including understanding business processes and underlying in-scope financial applications, conduct interviews and process walkthroughs, perform audit procedures to assess the operational compliance and effectiveness of important business processes.
- Evaluate the significance of audit findings, make practical recommendations and collaborate with important partners on remediation action plans.
- Evaluate opportunities to act in an advisory role with important partners.
- 12+ years of progressive experience in a Big 4 Assurance role and corporate accounting experience in a senior leadership role is required
- Technical accounting and advisory experience and ability to meet deadlines or expectations
- Experience with internal controls, internal audit standards, and the documentation and testing of important cycles, processes
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance and be a licensed CPA
- Experience with growth companies in technology or entertainment
- Experience working across multiple lines of business with a variety of complex products or services, all in an environment that is constantly changing
- Demonstrate a high degree of technical proficiency; experience with complex accounting research and technical accounting activities under both US GAAP and IFRS
- Knowledge of IFRS and able to distinguish important differences between US GAAP and IFRS
- Apply know-how of technical accounting and financial reporting standards
- Collaborate with Finance, Talent, and Legal, and explain complex accounting issues.
- Project management skills and work on several complex projects, ensuring processes are followed and deadlines are met
- Experience reviewing complex legal contracts and evaluating business, operational and accounting implications
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
Riot focuses on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy and other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $186,000 USD - $278,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).