Software Engineering Manager, Near Games Experiences
Job Id: REQ-0006377
Riot Engineering Managers inspire and direct Rioters to solve meaningful technical problems and are accountable for growing team performance and health. As an Engineering Manager on the Player Platform, Near Game Experiences team, you'll help us build amazing in game experiences across a multitude of different platforms and games. Your expertise will help build key player experiences that bridge platform technologies and game development in areas like Social Experiences, First Run Experiences and Account Related Experiences to name a few. Your work will help create a cohesive and consistent multi-platform experience that powers all games at Riot. You will report to the Senior Engineering Manager within the Player Experience Initiative.
- Manage a group of software engineers; coaching them, overseeing performance management, identifying growth opportunities, and ensuring positive results
- Manage the health and performance of the engineering team with empathy and authenticity, building trust and inspiring them to overcome challenges.
- Develop and support our in-game experiences used across Riot's games on console, desktop and mobile used by millions of players
- Build healthy relationships with other engineering teams at Player Platform and Riot to foster cross-team collaboration
- Contribute to the team's work by building reference designs, tackling challenging and ambiguous technical solutions, conducting architectural and coding reviews.
- Implement technical outcomes and tools that create cohesive and natural player experiences for Riot's games on console, desktop and mobile
- Partner with product owners to build and operate features end-to-end including technical discovery, product development, production release and live support.
- Provide high-quality software by writing unit, functional, and integration tests
- Invest in team's complete ownership of our products by participating in on-call rotation
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- 2 years experience managing engineering teams
- 5+ years of hands-on programming experiences preferably in C++
- Expertise in project management, prioritization frameworks, and guiding investment strategies in people and systems
- Experience and/or excitement in building world class player experiences
- Familiarity with "Infrastructure as Code" and tooling like Terraform, Docker and Jenkins
- Familiarity building clients that leverage highly distributed systems
- Experience building in-client user experiences for AAA title(s)
- Familiarity with game engines like Unreal and Unity
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
Let's Thrive Together:
Because together we are better
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and members of Riot Games. We know that fresh and varied perspectives will make us better at what we do, so however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, we're excited to hear from you. Don't be discouraged if you feel you don't fully meet every single one of the requirements for a particular role, there's always room for growth at Riot. If you spot a role that will make you want to jump out of bed in the morning, we are waiting to hear from you! Don't forget to include a resume. We receive many applications, but we'll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you Dare to Dream and Execute with Excellence.