Staff Software Engineer, Gameplay Tech - VALORANT
Job Id: REQ-0006596
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in many broader domains. As a Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team goals. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
VALORANT is Riot’s take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). As a Staff Software Engineer working on a VALORANT Gameplay Systems Team, you are responsible for helping Riot build features in core gameplay systems such as movement, hit registration, and client/server interaction. You will work with designers, producers, and other engineers to design and implement both player-facing and core systems improvements in Unreal Engine. You will collaborate with a number of other VALORANT teams to ensue a high quality player experience.
- Design, develop and implement intricate gameplay systems and features
- Collaborate with designers to support design and delivery of gameplay features with highly-varying functionality and technical needs
- Create and/or contribute to best practices, development processes and coding standards
- Build and manage strong relationships between disciplines
- Mentor other engineers and provide technical guidance to the gameplay systems teams
- Act as a trusted advisor to gameplay leadership concerning technical and product roadmap decisions
- 7+ years of experience
- 3+ years of experience with C++
- 3+ years of gameplay development experience
- Experience using game engines (e.g. Unreal, Unity)
- Experience collaborating with teammates across multiple disciplines
- Familiarity working in an agile environment
- Experience implementing gameplay systems
- Experience with Unreal Engine
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in gaming
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $170,000 USD - $238,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).