Manager, Technical Art, Rigging - League of Legends
Job Id: REQ-0006811
Established in 2020, the Singapore Studio is Riot’s second international game development studio. Working together with our Hong Kong Studio, Riot has been expanding our footprint in Asia and accelerating our talent growth to develop games that deliver great experiences to our players. Our mission is to “scale Riot’s games to hyper-serve players.”
We partner with our LA headquarters on game development for League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, and Legends of Runeterra. We’re also building teams for VALORANT and Project L, our take on a fighting game. The Singapore Studio is seeking talented, passionate Rioters with backgrounds in all areas of game development to build games that make it better to be a player.
We’re focused on working together to promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity, so every Rioter can be their best while we boldly pursue games.
That's where you come in
As Manager, Technical Art - Rigging on the League of Legends (LoL) team, you will work closely with the team’s Art Director to lead a team of riggers to create, improve, and maintain rigs for characters and other assets in the game. With you team of 4-8 Riggers, the focus of your team will be to work closely with the animation, modeling and concept teams, uncovering new ways to improve workflow and ensure functionality, consistency, and quality, and generally being the tech-animation minded voice of our substantial Art team that’s shipping content every two weeks!
You will report to our team’s Art Director.
- Lead, mentor, and grow a growing Rigging team in our partner studio in Shanghai
- Source & hire AAA Rigging talent in China
- Develop and grow their Rigging skills through training and feedback
- Ensure they’re properly informed and have all the information they need to succeed
- Make sure studio culture and team health is maintained
- Make sure the Rigging content they deliver meets/exceeds the quality bar for League of Legends
- Be the bridge for the tech animation discipline between Riot Games and our Art Partner
- Form a good, trust based relationship with discipline peers in Los Angeles to enable support and knowledge sharing
- Coordinate with other Rioters in our team to make sure product goals are fulfilled and working practices are appropriate
- Uncover and communicate Riot’s tribal knowledge pertaining to tech, product, and process
- Build a long term strategy for Rigging in our League of Legends Singapore Team
- Anticipate the team’s future rigging needs and develop/supervise solutions & resources in advance
- Own tech animation tools and processes, and facilitate and improve to accelerate content production
- Unlock products and content that would have otherwise been blocked by technical animation requirements.
- Align and collaborate with the overall tech art/tools strategy
- Leadership experience, having mentored and managed teams (3+ people), and defined and implemented team strategies
- Professional experience as a rigger in games or related industries
- Strong understanding of figure and facial anatomy
- Experience with 3D math, game engines, and a fundamental understanding of UX/UI principles when applied to tool development
- Expertise in Maya, game engines, and scripting in Python
- Experience with and commitment to building long-term maintainable, testable, portable, and stable systems
- A strong communicator and able to convey abstract/sophisticated ideas in a concise way, in English or in Chinese
- Experience with the technical requirements for a variety of game platforms
- Exposure to procedural content generation
- Exposure to machine learning for content creation
- Bonus points for:
- Experience working in shaders and vfx
- Working on content heavy pipelines
- Working on live service games
- Working on games which are content heavy
- Proficiency in Mandarin language
For this role, you’ll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experience of players, this could be the role for you!
- Full relocation support
- Full health insurance for you, your spouse and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play Fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits