Manager, Visual Design - Esports
Job Id: REQ-0006893
The last 12 months have been amazing for esports at Riot. We held our most-watched League of Legends Worlds Championship, and we ran our first global tournaments for VALORANT, Wild Rift, and Legends of Runeterra. On the back of that success, and in our ever-growing dedication to our mission to be the most player focused company in the world, Riot is doubling down on our investment in the esports and fan experience with industry-leading innovations like Project Stryker that will make our ambitions come to life.
Are you interested in being part of an amazing team poised to redefine the esports fan experience? We’re looking for passionate, innovative individuals with a keen eye and ear for fan behaviors who are ready to help us tackle Riot’s high-priority focus on Unleashing Fandom and Reinventing the Watch Experience for fans across the globe! As player-focused Visual Designers at Riot, we are responsible for design work in high-scope product areas that are complex and ambiguous. Our work includes visual problem-solving, often spanning multiple features and teams. We work from concept through development, participate in agile product development, and partner closely with UX Design, Research, Product, and Engineering to achieve our goals.
You will manage the visual design team, communicate goals, and guide your team to deliver high-quality interfaces and solutions. You will motivate and develop the team in terms of their work and career progression. Your craft expertise and high-level execution will shape a cohesive and exciting vision for Riot Esports fans, including individual products like our core web experience and cross-platform features like fandom progression. You will continue to build on the brand for Riot Esports.
You will report to the Sr. Manager of UX Design for the Esports R&D organization.
- Leading visual design across multiple fan-focused workstreams
- Run and manage healthy and productive craft review sessions
- Manage and mentor career growth of all direct reports
- Work with product management, production, UX design, and engineering teams to create resonant and high quality UI experiences
- Establish process milestones and workflow guidelines while promoting healthy collaboration
- Guide the development and documentation for design systems and style guides
- Hiring, onboarding, offboarding of direct reports
- Outsourcing workflows and feedback
- 5+ years experience designing digital experiences, products, and platforms
- Experience directly managing designers
- Proficient with Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch or other industry design tools
- Experience designing and releasing consumer web experiences (responsive desktop + mobile)
- A professional portfolio with examples of your past work.
- Deep understanding of Interaction, Systems Design, Consistency, Typography and color theory
- Experience with Figma, including library management
- Familiarity with or experience designing web experiences for eCommerce, creator platforms, progression systems, or the entertainment industry (movies, TV, video games, music, etc.)
- Familiarity with Riot IP and universe
- Experience working with vendors, giving direction and delivering clear feedback
We will review case studies of your past work as a part of the application process, so please provide a portfolio link or PDF (as a cover letter) with your application.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this could be your role!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $151,000 USD - $211,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.