Senior Manager, Infrastructure Engineering (Broadcast) - Esports, Gateway
Los Angeles, USA
Job Id: REQ-0007045
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
The last 12 months have been amazing for esports at Riot. We held our most-watched League of Legends Worlds Championship ever, and we ran our first global tournaments for VALORANT, Wild Rift, and Legends of Runeterra. On the back of that success, and in our ever-growing dedication to our mission to be the most player focused company in the world, Riot is doubling down on our investment in the esports and fan experience with industry-leading broadcast innovations like Project Stryker that will make our ambitions come to life.
That’s where you come in.
The Esports Technology Group's mission is to ensure efficient production of Esports content, globally. As Senior Broadcast Engineering Manager you'll support a global team focused on designing & building next-gen remote broadcast infrastructure, tooling and applications that will power Riot's Esports content production for the next decade. You will encourage innovation, help set global standards and support both your team and many internal customers.
You will hire to grow the team as Riot matures in operating multiple esports, creating an inclusive work environment. You, along with product managers, will gather input from stakeholders and develop a multi-year broadcast technology roadmap.
This role may require occasional international travel (10-20%) as you’ll support multiple broadcast production facilities and global events inside and outside the US.
In this role, you will report to the Director of Infrastructure Engineering.
- Ensure the team is building products that meet our high broadcast standards
- Manage a group of 6-8 engineers across broadcast, systems & network specialties, coaching them, holding them accountable to best practices and their growth plan
- Create a diverse and inclusive team where all members feel they have a voice and are welcome
- Partner with discipline, development and product leadership to develop strategies for long-term tech investments, improving team health and effectiveness
- Oversee the technical health of our broadcast technologies and take an active part in their implementation
- Build healthy relationships with other engineering teams, product teams, customers & stakeholders at Riot to foster cross-team collaboration
- Mentor engineers in best practices
- Champion your sourcing and hiring processes to identify and hire engineers, develop craft competency metrics and support any necessary job architecture changes
Required Qualifications: (if there are Specific Game Requirements, they would be placed here)
- 7+ years professional experience as either a broadcast, infrastructure or systems engineer supporting large scale projects and/or productions
- 4+ years working in an engineering leadership position managing teams
- Experience managing large & complex projects, including delivering one or more successfully
- Experience managing broadcast engineers and/or working closely to support live events directly or indirectly
- Experience collaborating across teams to create & deliver solutions
- Working knowledge of IP networking, systems architecture & workflow design methodologies as they apply to content production
- Experience incorporating ST 2110 and/or Video-over-IP solutions into projects and productions
- Experience with remote production environments & processes
- Relevant experience with traditional SDI-based infrastructure and tools
- Experience building or maintaining global infrastructure, networks, systems at scale
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally to support Riot Esports events
- Experience working in public cloud and on-prem hybrid environments
- Experience implementing effective change management tooling
- Experience leading technical refresh projects
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and choices that focus on your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
- (Bellevue only) Base salary range between $195,300.00 - $273,000.00 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
- (Los Angeles Only) Base salary range between $195,300.00 - $273,000.00 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.