Senior Game Designer, Core Gameplay, Wild Rift
Job Id: REQ-0007063
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
Game Designers at Riot create the systems, mechanics, and content that make up a resonant player experience. We explore how to best push the boundaries of that experience to create new and engaging moments for players.
As a Game Designer working on core gameplay on League of Legends: Wild Rift, reporting to the production lead of Wild Rift Shanghai, you will be an essential member to delivering an amazing League of Legends experience for millions of players around the world. You will design and improve systems in the core game, including game systems, live item and champion balance, as well as oversee the state of the game systems.
Your experience, player insight, and creativity will create in game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams across the globe, including the League of Legends PC team, to design and iterate on amazing, player-focused designs.
You will be based in Shanghai, China, your work may involve travel to Shenzhen, China.
As a Rioter in China, you'll join a team of internationally and culturally diverse professionals that share our prioritization of player experience, rejection of convention and maniacal passion for gaming.
To reinforce Riot’s collaborative culture in our China offices, we’ve decided to do away with the constraints of traditional hierarchical title structures that are more common in the region. Titles don’t really matter at any of Riot’s offices, but we chose to take this extra step in our China offices to foster a space where teamwork thrives. We believe that removing this constraint will promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and a focus on results. We promise you won’t need a title at Riot to make an impact.
- Assess the current state of the game continuously, and look for areas that need improvement
- Empathize with Wild Rift players at all levels of skill
- Oversee the balance state of champions, items, and any other systemic component that affects the live game
- Maintain the game's existing systems, including larger scope projects that could last several patches to complete
- Improve existing design frameworks and create new ones
- Work with non design disciplines to fully realize our design vision and ship it to players
- 5+ years of experience in professional game design experience
- History of feature ownership in high speed development situations with numerous successes managing tradeoffs between bold goals and shipping value to players
- Can describe the details of complex design structures and partner with diverse team members to bring those elements to players
- Can create, maintain, and extend complex systems with attention to the player impacts and downstream effects, both as an individual, and through collaboratively working in a large design team
- Deep knowledge of the mobile gaming and/or console landscape and audiences, strong understanding of MOBA design principles
- History of feature ownership in high speed development with successes in managing tradeoffs between bold goals and shipping value to players
- Can build a structured approach for complex game systems that maintain game quality while minimizing complexity and exploits
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in gaming
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).