Global Director, Live Broadcast Production
Job Id: REQ-0007046
The Global Director of Broadcast is responsible for strategy, planning, execution, tracking, and performance of all global broadcasts (e.g., LoL Worlds and MSI, VAL Masters and Champs), as well as the broadcasts in most regional leagues (e.g., LCS, LEC), across the Esports pillar, a fast-growing division at Riot started in 2009, with ~5x growth in fans over the last 7-8 years. The division currently spans five games, thousands of professional players, over 100M fans across the globe.
As a Director of Esports Broadcast, you will work directly with other members of the pillar’s leadership team - especially product leads, event leads, production leads, content leads, tech leads, and finance leads - to (1) design and execute a broadcast strategy across all Riot Esports in ways that allow them to meet/exceed Riot’s consistently-increasing quality standards while staying within pillar financial constraints, (2) design and share broadcast best practices across all of Riot’s Esports and regional broadcasts, (3) Collaborate with tech and games teams to ensure Riot’s Esports broadcast push the envelope of technological advancements and strategically implement these designs across all broadcast products. You will be responsible for supporting the Pillar Head of Content Services in ensuring that the pillar has specific broadcast plans - for both global events and regional leagues - that align with both Riot and esports strategies.
In the role, you will manage a team of broadcast producers, talent producers, writers, and features producers to produce genre defining esports broadcasts. You will also be responsible for defining and refining Riot Esports strategy in several core aspects of broadcast, including story telling, generating fandom, audience retention, and broadcast technology (e.g. camera tech approaches), among others.
You will report directly to the Esports Head of Content Services.
- Design and implement a global broadcast strategy for all of Riot’s esports that maximizes storytelling, generating fandom, audience engagement and state of the art broadcast technology
- Design and implement Global Riot channel strategy that maximizes viewership and growth potential across Twitch, Youtube and other platforms.
- Share best broadcast practices for all of Riot’s int’l events and regional broadcasts
- Communicate a clear aesthetic vision and priorities for Broadcast Production, a Riot Broadcast Ethos, and then collaborate with regions to report and manage quality assurance
- Collaborate with other Content Services leads to ensure Riot’s broadcast are delivered within budget
- Oversee management of Riot’s broadcast partners including talent to deliver best broadcast quality and diverse global representation for audiences
- Partner with marketing creative and production creative to deliver the visual identity and aesthetic for each of our sport products
- Train, teach and manage broadcast producer team for all show decisions associated with the product, including event broadcast staffing, run of show, set design, live ceremonies, graphics, stats, and video content
- Work with business development leadership to create compelling content and broadcast opportunities for sponsorship, and coordinate integration of content.
- Work with Stryker Operations to create a strategy for max utilization of Riot’s remote production capabilities for all Global and Regional broadcasts
- Drive innovation on Riot Broadcast’s visual design, shooting style, and camera plots
- Work with Production and Engineering and help push forward innovations and try new technologies and risks to continue to make Riot a world class innovator in broadcast
- 15+ years of broadcast production experience, including show stacking, video production, features storytelling, camera layouts, graphics integration, and partner management.
- 5+ years of management experience, with demonstrated responsibility for coordinating the successful execution of large-scale broadcasts, ideally including those in international locations.
- Track record of craft competency development and coaching
- Ability to synthesize objectives of, and incorporate feedback from, multiple stakeholders to ensure global and regional events align with all broader Esports goals.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills that facilitate the establishment of strong working relationships with colleagues from a wide range of business functions.
- High degree of adaptability and comfort working in a fast-paced, rapidly-evolving environment.
- High degree of adaptability and comfort working in a fast-paced, rapidly-evolving environment
- Demonstrated history of team building and performance management
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this is the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
- (Los Angeles Only) Base salary range between $191,600.00 - $267,800.00 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.