Senior UX Designer - Unpublished Fighting Game
Los Angeles, USA
Job Id: REQ-0007097
As a UX Designer, you'll be responsible for the design work in a high-scope product area that is complex and ambiguous. Your work will include end-to-end experience design. The spaces will generally encompass multiple features and sometimes span across teams. You'll work from concept through development and collaborate with other designers to achieve your goals.
As a Senior User Experience Designer for Project L, you'll design player-facing experiences for our new Fighting Game, focusing on meta- and out-of-game experiences. Reporting to the Game Director for the project, you will focus on multiple areas, and will have a high level of independent initiative to balance UX priorities across the workstreams. You are an adept storyteller, able to present the player experience to members of your team. You have a deep desire to understand the motivations of the fighting game community (FGC) and represent them in your designs.
- Lead UX design across multiple workstreams, focusing on the interaction design and player flows for these areas
- Communicate your data-informed vision and design rationale to stakeholders in a clear manner
- Deliver appropriate UX design artifacts for the team (e.g., strategy articulation, discovery/ research results, journey maps, Information Architectures (IAs), flows, wireframes, mockups, and interactive prototypes)
- Break down experiences thoughtfully for teams to ship value incrementally (i.e., Minimum viable experience), making appropriate trade-offs between fidelity and functionality
- Establish experiential quality metrics and interaction consistency across player-facing systems
- Work with Design discipline leadership across the company to establish best-practices and quality standards, and champion user-centered design methodologies
- Minimum 5 years industry experience, having led significant portions of the UX of at least two shipped game titles or major releases of consumer-facing digital products
- Experience designing interfaces on PC and Console, with strong understanding of interaction modalities across controller, keyboard, and mouse
- High-level UX prototyping skills, using interactive design tools
- Experience designing both in-game and meta-level UX systems
- Comfortable planning and estimating UX effort for projects
- Comfortable switching between design strategy, micro- and macro-level interaction design, and design execution, and taking on roles outside of traditional design, including product management
- Experience designing both in-game and around game UX systems, using contemporary UX prototyping tools or game engines such as Unreal and Unity
- Experience with focus-based interaction models
- We will review your work as a part of the application process, so please provide a portfolio link or work samples with your application.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this could be your role!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Redwood City Only) Base salary range between $189,600 USD - $264,100 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
- (Redwood City only) Base salary range between $189,600.00 - $264,100.00 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
- (Los Angeles Only) Base salary range between $173,100.00 - $241,100.00 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.