Engineering Manager - Tools
Job Id: REQ-0007220
Established in 2020, the Singapore Studio is Riot’s second international game development studio. Working together with our Hong Kong Studio, Riot has been expanding our footprint in Asia and accelerating our talent growth to develop games that deliver great experiences to our players. Our mission is to “scale Riot’s games to hyper-serve players.”
We partner with our LA headquarters on game development for League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, and Legends of Runeterra. We’re also building teams for VALORANT and Project L, our take on a fighting game. The Singapore Studio is seeking talented, passionate Rioters with backgrounds in all areas of game development to build games that make it better to be a player.
We’re focused on working together to promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity, so every Rioter can be their best while we boldly pursue games.
That's where you come in
As an Engineering Manager on the League of Legends Tools team, you will lead a team to work on low level engine systems as well as user facing tools, to improve the way we are authoring Materials, Shaders and Particle systems.
The weight of the position requires collaboration with all art (& technology) disciplines to make sure we have a thoughtful set of tools that content creators can use
You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering. You will report to the Senior Engineering Manager.
- Manage the health and performance of the engineering team with empathy and authenticity, building trust, and inspiring them to overcome challenges.
- Lead, grow, and coach team members to build talent over the long term
- Identify, recruit, interview, and hire software engineers to help teams scale effectively.
- Build and manage strong relationships between disciplines
- Build player-facing experiences that expand and enhance the game experience within a complex ecosystem of microservices and clients.
- Create, review, and reframe an engineering vision with the team and key stakeholders including the Technology, Product, and Process Leads.
- Provide technical expertise throughout the product life cycle including design, implementation, test, and release of player-facing features while continuously improving the software engineering quality and efficiency.
- Demonstrate a high bar of craft excellence for your team
- Cultivate your team's culture of collaboration, creativity, and passion for game making
- 8+ years of deep hands-on experiences with C++ working on Content Creation Tools (e.g., within Gaming, Simulation, AR/VR)
- Experience directly managing an engineering team either as an Engineering Manager or Technical Lead & mentor
- Experience implementing software engineering best practices within your team, including design reviews, coding standards, code reviews, tools improvements, source control management, build processes, and testing
- Experience working with QA, test environments and secure deployment
- Experience building scalable and maintainable applications.
- Genre affinity for, and knowledge of, competitive Moba or Strategy games
- Experience building tools & pipelines that are scalable and maintainable with a focus on content production/artwork (VfX, Animation etc)
- Good understanding of Shaders, Material and Particles systems.
- Experience Working with Qt or similar C++ UI library.
- Experience working across timezones
Nice to have Qualifications
- Mandarin spoken/written
For this role, you’ll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experience of players, this could be the role for you!
- Full health insurance for you, your spouse and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play Fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits